What is the buoyancy of your drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What type of drysuit and undergarment are you using, and what are its buoyancy characteristics: how much lift does it provide only after removing the squeeze at the safety stop depth?

I use a tls350 by dui. with 100 gram undies i need 19# with the 300 undies i need 38#. both sets of undies are dui's polartech. I am 6' adn 240#. much of this weright is off set byputting on the rig. these numbers are fresh water#s to comp for the suit only.

Whites Fusion Tech 2XL/3XL with Whites MK2 undergarments. 22lbs of weight to be neutral and comfortable at a 10 foot safety stop with AL80 tanks (doubles) at 500psi each in salt water.

I'm 6 feet, 225 lbs. My buddy with similar height/build needs 37lbs (!) to do the same in his new drysuit, a standard off the rack sized trilam suit (not sure of the brand).

I think the Fusion's smart 2-layer design accounts for the difference in weight needed.

Maybe those replying could post how much weight they'd need doing the same dive in a bathing suit? How much of the weight is due to the drysuit and how much is due to the individual?

I'm pretty neutral, maybe 1lb negative in a bathing suit. (I cannot do a back-float without sinking.) So my figures really are just for the suit & undergarments.

Also the maximum buoyancy differential I can create by filling my lungs is +6lbs. I've worked a lot on this stuff.

I'm pretty positive to begin with. In my dry suit with the Whites MK3 undergarment, I'm 28 lbs positive.

In my drysuit with 300 gram under suit, i need 3kgs for fresh water, 5kg for salt. If I weren't in my drysuit, I'd be severely overweighted

Many thanks. I am assuming that except for the numbers posted by Rivers, all your other numbers (19#, 22#, 28#, 37#, 38#) are just buoyancy of the drysuit itself with undergarments, or drysuit with a tank at 500psi, as opposed to the amount of lead you are carrying with you. Rivers, in addition to the 3 or 5 kgs of lead, how much does your rig weigh to counter the drysuit's positive buoyancy?

Many thanks. I am assuming that except for the numbers posted by Rivers, all your other numbers (19#, 22#, 28#, 37#, 38#) are just buoyancy of the drysuit itself with undergarments, or drysuit with a tank at 500psi, as opposed to the amount of lead you are carrying with you. Rivers, in addition to the 3 or 5 kgs of lead, how much does your rig weigh to counter the drysuit's positive buoyancy?

Well I'm in twins, so about 45-50 kg (ali backplate). But even in a single I only need 5 and 8kg respectively. To put things into perspective with regards to how personal weighting is, I'm about the same height and weight as TS&M. My drysuit is membrane so fairly neutral in the water. My 300 gram is a bit floaty, but not horribly. Weighting and buoyancy is a funny thing. Someone who is of an athletic build will need less weight than someone who's build is not as athletic. So another to take into account is how buoyant you are.

I really have to ask. What is the purpose of the question? I really do not see any value at all from the data gained here.

Back
Top Bottom