What is stopping you from switching to a rebreather?

What is stopping you from switching to a rebreather?

• Price

Votes: 68 74.7%
  • Availability

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Safety

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bruehlt

Contributor
Reaction score
I am doing a little market research.

I for one would love to go all the way - and go rebreather - but, there are certain things stopping me (such as price for example).

What specifically is stopping you from making the change?

If you made the change, what influenced your decisions?

Thanks...

I agree with Mike, Price then safety, although they are getting safer with every upgrade. When they get down to the $2000-$4000 dollar range I will consider it.

I would have to continue the string of price and then safety.

Would still love to be certified to dive a rebreather. Just think, no deco stops and hours of diving

My vote went to price, though the prices bug me less than my lack of funds. :wink:

Until that changes, availability is not an issue.

Safety is always a concern, but with proper training, skills and attitude can be kept acceptable.

I would say that diving SCR was the highest barrier to entry of diving a CCR.

I trained on the Dolphin and rented them for a couple years but always felt like OC was so much easier from a hassle/benefit analysis. I think this dampened my enthusiasm for rebreathers, so to speak.

I always new I would eventually get to CCR and have for the last 6 months only been diving a CCR with about 50 hours of bottom time.

One thing to consider adding to the survey would be lack of a buddy to dive with. It is certainly harder to get really enthusiastic if you are exploring rebreathers on your own. It took me and my regular dive buddy a couple of years to finally be able to do our CCR training from a $$, motivation and scheduling perspective.

Doug

I have had both an SCR (Dolphin) and CCR (Inspiration) and have sold them. I do a lot of cave diving and carrying the bailout for the longer dives started to get old with the added drag of counter lungs and all. I have been working on a CCR bailout system that does not increase the drag but the cost of development has held me back for now. When I get the CCR bail out sorted then I will stay primarily CCR. Deep dives same thing it gets task loading carrying bail out for bottom and deco mix. Non deco stuff the SCR IMHO is easier to do on the fly.

crpntr133:
I would have to continue the string of price and then safety.

Would still love to be certified to dive a rebreather. Just think, no deco stops and hours of diving

Same obligation for deco with either SCR or CCR that you have on OC. With CCR you can control PPO2 to optimize your O2 window but still have the same deco obligations.

I have had both and SCR (Dolphin) and two CCR (KISS and CCR Dolphin).

Prices are coming down all the time and safety has increased with each new release or improvement to many of the currently available RB units.

CCR is the way to go and really has some advantages over OC (IMHO), that said, I would say that the time on SCR would have been better served on CCR.

Mike...

bruehlt:
I am doing a little market research.

I for one would love to go all the way - and go rebreather - but, there are certain things stopping me (such as price for example).

What specifically is stopping you from making the change?

If you made the change, what influenced your decisions?

Thanks...
Price, and knowing that I would say "that's good enough" at least once

Back
Top Bottom