What Is It?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go Go Gadget

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got this pic in Panama City this weekend. What is the white blob?

DSC00418.jpg

I was thinking it looked like a nudibranch.

Nah, dragon eye's right. Sponge. You can see portions where it is visibly stuck to the substrate. If I had my flippin' ID book handy I might be able to narrow it down. I'm sure someone will chime in shortly with a more refined ID.

Not too sure what type of sponge but I think it may be one of the encrusting sponges.

Honestly, we got into saltwater aquariums because we hadn't been certified for diving. Now we are certified, and I probably can name more things in saltwater than I can in fresh, and am stuck in MN. If you really want to dive right in, so to speak, many aquarists have lots of info to share, and are great at recommending books and why. Though I'm sure people here have some good reference ideas too!

Buy the Humann Reef Set for the area you're diving. Most people just get the Fish and the Coral book, but the "Creatures" book has sponges in it (and other junk).

Back
Top Bottom