What is going on with this button SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi

A few weeks ago I purchased a button SPG to attach to my pony reg. Screwed it in, pressurised, saw that the SPG stayed at 0.

I went back to the shop to swap out the busted unit for a working specimen and they were good enough to confirm that the new one worked by plugging it into a reg, connecting it to a nearly empty tank, and it showed the 40bar and moved fine when purging. All good.

When I got home and attached the SPG to my pony reg and pressurised the thing, it once again was stuck at 0.

Am I missing something here? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_7216.jpg
    IMG_7216.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 254
Take the SPG out and open the valve very slowly. If air does not come out , then there is most likely a problem with the regulator.

Clogged HP Port?

Does your pony reg have another HP port. If so, try that. If not, maybe carefully secure the bottle and crack the valve with the HP port empty and see if you are getting flow ...

It's the HP port.

It is a brand new MK2 with only two test dives on the pony and it did not even occur to me to eliminate the fault with a new reg, automatically blaming the cheap button gauge.

Thank you!

Check this out - the HP port on the MK2 is just closed up (a shot of the HP port on my MK17 for comparison).

Manufacturing fault it seems...wow.

IMG_7217.jpg
IMG_7218.jpg

From the look, your mk2 HP port look OK. Here is what the HP ports look like for my mk25 and atomic. The hole is very tinny, just like your mk2. I have never seen how poet holes like the mk17 in previous post.

Test it to see if air come out from the hp port.

Attachments

• IMG_20190609_192130.jpg
    IMG_20190609_192130.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_20190609_192245.jpg
    IMG_20190609_192245.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 228
From the look, your mk2 HP port look OK. Here is what the HP ports look like for my mk25 and atomic. The hole is very tinny, just like your mk2. I have never seen how poet holes like the mk17 in previous post.

Test it to see if air come out from the hp port.

Interesting, I only have my MK17 as a reference, with that very clear hole. I thought all SP regs would be like that.

I checked again, there is no hole in the middle of the port, but there could be a tiny one on the side under the threads, hard to tell as there are a couple of marks under the thread which appear like machining stop points.

Anyway, I turned the air on with the HP unplugged and no air came out.

My MK2 HP port. FWIW I can’t see the hole either. But it does work. I hate to ask but are you sure there is air in the tank?

DED6AE87-1247-4A9A-99D7-E4E0568BBADF.jpeg

8AAD37DE-482C-439C-8916-3D23A274C18E.jpeg

I'm not a regulator technician just your average diver who isn't afraid to swap out hoses and gauges and regulators but if it was me I'd put the first stage on the tank without any gauge on it and slowly crack the tank valve and see if air flows out the HP port, and/or test it with a known working gauge.

I'm not a regulator technician just your average diver who isn't afraid to swap out hoses and gauges and regulators but if it was me I'd put the first stage on the tank without any gauge on it and slowly crack the tank valve and see if air flows out the HP port, and/or test it with a known working gauge.

Yes that's what I've done, no air comes out of the unplugged HP port with the reg connected, second stage breathes fine. My primary reg with AI connected reads 220 bar. Seems like a clogged port. The pony reg is brand new, so I contacted the shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom