What is a good underwater photography starter kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skoobadoo

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, Everyone.

I'm looking for a good starter kit for underwater photography. There have been many suggestions, I'm just gonna throw out some names and please comment on them. Nikonos III, IV & V. Ikelite Housing, Aquatica Housing, and either Helix or Felix housing. I do understand that, with the housing, I'll need to get a normal camera that it's supposed to house.

I'd like to have at least a flash, too. My budget goal is not to exceed $400 but if it must $500 is a limit. I've been looking at this stuff online, then it dawn on me that I don't know what I'm looking for or, in some case, at.

Thank you

Kris

Howdy!

Head for the Sticky here in the UW Photo area - you can get there via the Pink Link in my signature. Inside you will find a ton of information to help you narrow your choices down including links to specific cameras with discussions and images.

I'd head for the Canon A series and a Canon housing to get started.

For your budget, I'd skip the external strobe right now and learn how to get the most from the camera itself while saving a bit more for a good strobe that will move with you for years to come, no matter what camera system you use.

Let us know as you have questions!

Get the strobe because it will totally change how you shoot. The best way to learn lighting is to get a strobe and shoot, shoot, shoot. External strobes add a tremendous amount of depth and texture to your subject and the on camera flash underwater is worthless (because of backscatter).

We've had a lot of entry-level photographers who have been really happy with the Bonica Snapper Camera, housing and XP Strobe (which we sell as a package under your $500 budget). It takes photos comparable to a Canon A series but is designed for underwater photography (very little shutter lag, all controls are available through the housing, etc). Plus, the XP strobe is on an arm long enough to be useful and it's even compatible with most digital cameras. I actually use one with my Digital SLR as a fill-in when my primary 200w/s strobes would be too much.

Good luck and welcome to underwater photography!

External strobes add a tremendous amount of depth and texture to your subject and the on camera flash underwater is worthless (because of backscatter).

That's a little cut and dried :wink:

The first part is true - external strobes do add a tremendous amount of flexibility.

The second part is false - the internal flash on a camera is not worthless. There are many users who get just fine results using only the internal flash. There are many factors involved, of course, but even in relatively dirty or floaty-filled water the internal flash is not worthless. And there's always manual white balance when the internal isn't going to get the job done.

We don't have many images from the Bonica here - would love to have some so we can add them to our Sticky!

An external strobe is an excellent piece of gear to have and I always recommend getting a good one to start with...one that will move with you. Cheaper, less powerful, feature-filled strobes often cause a lot of frustration before people move to a good strobe anyway. For me, I'm a spend the money once girl so I'd save before I'd buy something that would just frustrate me :) YMMV

Whether you have an external strobe or not, you have to learn to get the best from your camera system to get good images. Some people find that adding a strobe right away works for them just fine, others find that it is too much of a learning curve. It's all going to depend on how comfortable you are in the water and with photo gear.

Thank you, Alcina & Fluffy the Octopus. I'm going to look up your suggestions. I saw a Sea & Sea outfit for about my budget. You guys know anything about it? It comes with a strobe and a carrying case, all in yellow. I think it's a point and shoot film camera, which I prefer. The digital camera is a bit too advance for me, I think. Anyway, thanks you guys a bunch!

Kind Regards

Kris

The film version will drive you nuts. The learning curve is extreme and you can't correct on the dive.

Go digital for sure. At the very least you can stick it in one of the Auto modes and just click away. But you also get the flexibility to review your shots and adjust things while you're still underwater if you want to. Don't have to use the feature just coz the camera has it.

Go digital. Forget about film for underwater.

Get a point and shoot Canon and an underwater housing. No need for a strobe yet as the internal flash will do you fine to start with (i have a Canon SD800IS). DO NOT get a film camera - you will really, REALLY regret this. Digital is the way to go for underwater photography as you can review and readjust your shots easily, plus no film to deal with. Plus you can shoot video.

I really like my Casio P&S 10mp Exlim EX-Z1000 and their housing.
I don't use a flash except for the one on the camera and it takes some great pics here in the PNW. 500$ shipped from ADORAMA...I think there is a newer one as well.
Kirsten

IMO there are several "must haves" for an UW. If you shoot much, eventually you will want them so why not save your money and buy a camera with them from the start....and many come on mid range P&S cameras.

They are :
Full manual mode- you have full control of aperature and shutter speed. Of all the features an UW camera should have, this is THE one. The UW modes that some cameras offer are better than nothing but bottom line is, to get the shots many of us want, manual is the only way to do it.
Histogram- the displays on digital cameras are deceptive and are a poor indication of real expsoure. Once you learn to read a histogram, there is no guessing about the actual exposure of your photo.
Macro- I shoot mostly macro so having a good on board macro setting is improtant

Nice to haves:
AA batteries- I dislike special batteries that are expensive and are/will get hard to find. Your going to want at least 2 batteries, likely 3. Most strobes use AAs, if the camera uses AAs you only need to carry one type battery and charger.

House that accepts external lenses- If you shoot much, sooner or later your going to want to expand your cameras ability to include more macro and/or wide angle, external lenses are needed for the job. Might as well get a housing that can do the job from the start.

Thank you, folks. I'll look into the digital cameras, though I'm very intimidate by it. Having enough troubles using it on land, you know. The menus and a buncha buttons. I'm just a certified open water diver, shouldn't be that hard to find a camera system that works around 60 ft. right?

Kind regards

Kris

Back
Top Bottom