What is a good shutter lag time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, so I am posting all kinds of random questions, but I really want to make sure I get something that fits my needs.

What is a good shutter lag? I was starting to read reviews (currently in the Nikon cameras)
I have read that the P5000 and 5100 are "really slow" at 0.9 adn the s10 is "slow" at 0.6-0.8. What is a "good" speed, no I know nothing is probably as good as film, but what woudl you consider an "acceptable" time?

Ok, so I am posting all kinds of random questions, but I really want to make sure I get something that fits my needs.

What is a good shutter lag? I was starting to read reviews (currently in the Nikon cameras)
I have read that the P5000 and 5100 are "really slow" at 0.9 adn the s10 is "slow" at 0.6-0.8. What is a "good" speed, no I know nothing is probably as good as film, but what woudl you consider an "acceptable" time?

whatever the user can deal with..
only way to eliminate shutter lag is to go with an dslr camera..you can shorten shutter delay on a point/shoot by prefocusing it..push shutter button 1/2 way to focus on an object that is inthe same range as intended image.Hold it down untill you desire to capture image.Then push it the rest of the way down.I use an olympus 5050 and a nikon p5100..I have no major issues with the shutter lag on them as I use this technique to shorten the time lag.Can also preset focal distance if camera allows it in the menu.

nikon p5100..I have no major issues with the shutter lag on them as I use this technique to shorten the time lag.Can also preset focal distance if camera allows it in the menu.

that is funny to hear different opinions as the review I read, reviews.cnet, state it is not usefull for taking pictures of "anything that moves" which in my opinion would exclude underwater pics. hmmmm

You can also turn off all of the sub programs, pre-flash, red eye, evaluative focus etc to speed up the camera. If using an external strobe set the camera strobe to low power. N

zero?
I guess anything under 100msec makes it very much like the good old film.

You can also turn off all of the sub programs, pre-flash, red eye, evaluative focus etc to speed up the camera. If using an external strobe set the camera strobe to low power. N
Nemrod is correct on this.
I would also turn off the internal strobe on the camera and just use the external only with a sync cord via the hotshoe on the camera.That is a plus with the ike housing.It extends the battery life on the camera, and does not produce any heat in the housing.

Back
Top Bottom