what is a good rebreather for a beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To get a feel what a rebreather is like, you can probably take a class and rent a Drager Ray or Dolphin. Both are pretty simple designs the Ray is depth limited to about 60ft and the dolphin about 130. These are the most popular RBs in the world and are relatively inexpensive. The azimuth which is considerably more money is a better design but is very new.. Personally I never liked SCR rebreathers which all of the above are, but they can serve as an introduction..

Buoyancy control on SCRs is considerably easier than a CCR rebreather (inspiration, Prism, Cis-lunar ect), but gas efficiency and on/off gassing efficiency is no where near that of a CCR.

On all RBS you must be Nitrox certified to take the class, for CCRs most require an Advanced nitrox or equivalent rating.

The azimuth is supposed to have a CCR upgrade option later this year so it definately worth the look... Right now The Inspiration and Prism(assuming their customer support improves) are probably your best bets, I have heard good things about the Megladon but haven't tried one myself.

To add to Padiscubapro's reply, there are two books on rebreathers that I would recommend.

The Simple Guide To Rebreather Diving by Steven Barsky

This book gives alot of good info and is easy to read. It covers both SCR and CCR.
Another book that just came out and which I just got my copy last night is

Mastering Rebreathers by Jeffrey E. Bozanic

From glancing through it, it goes into more detail than Steven's book and has info on more models of SCR and CCR's than Steven's book.

Both of the above can be purchased from Best Publishing at
www.bestpub.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom