What is a day like diving from Nusa Lembongan Vs Labuan Bajo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Namastaras

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is anyone able to provide some insight to what the day is like for a dive trip leaving from Labuan Bajo/Flores versus leaving from Nusa Lembangan or Nusa Penida? Are the boat rides to the dive sites similar distances? Are the dive boats comparable in comfort and speed? I've read in Komodo typically the day includes three dives, not two. Thoughts from divers who have experienced diving for the day from these places?

Nusa Lembongan : speedboat that takes 30 minutes to go to a dive site (45 minutes from mainland Bali), two dives interspersed with a 1 hourish coffe/tea break, you're back at the resort at 1PM at the latest at full throttle.

Komodo NP : 1h30-2hrs to get to the dive site using a 20m large phinisi wooden boat on slow motion. Typically 3 dives or 2 dives+Komodo dragon trek, Lunch onboard and back at the resort around 5PM. Something like 3-4hrs boat ride in the day and the sound of the engine still in your ear at dinner time.
Note that some resorts propose speedboat trips which I strongly recommand instead of local phinisi wooden boat .

We did both, with usually 2 dives at both places.

I personally enjoyed the slower boat trips at Komodo and the diving in my opinion is also way better. Went diving there with Divine Diving. The daytrip boat is fine and they offer inexpensive liveaboard trips as well.

At Nusa Lembongan you're back at the resort early in the afternoon and have lunch there. This leaves room for other activities. We took some surfing lessons which was fun.

Very helpful. I am heading to Bali in a few weeks, with the intent of doing my DMT in Labuan Bajo. BUT I am now considering doing it in Nusa Lembongan or Penida. I am not sure I will be up for day trips from LBJ that are like 8-9 hours round trip. May do my DMT in Nusas and then jump on a liveaboard out of Labuan Bajo before or after the DMT.

Most shops in LBJ run speed boats
Personally although I liked NL I got bored with most dies being drifts.

I much prefer the decent - (especially the particularly outrageous) currents in LBJ

Komodo has IMO better diversity of dives however on Dayboat diving you only get to a small section of the park. Generally you're limited to by the experience of the majority of divers on the boat. I've witnessed more than once divers popping to the surface low on gas after 20 mins even on not particularly challenging dives.

Most shops in LBJ run speed boats
I wouldn't say that... Uberscuba, Manta Rhei, Divine, Bajo dive club, FDC to name a few don't have any.
AFAIK only Red Whale, BlueMarlin and DDK (even though the latter don't use it anymore) have speed boats on top of their large slow boats.

Anyway I agree that Komodo is mostly a Liveaboard destination, other than that you'll miss half of the dive sites speedboat or not.

Do your divemaster training in Bali or, better yet, the Gili Islands where there are tons of people taking Open Water and AOW, the water is warm, the currents minimal, the dive centers have years and years of running good internships. Good divemaster training focuses on relationships with students and instructors and is best suited in areas like the Gili Islands, not with people in the midst of their trip of a lifetime. When you finish, celebrate your success with a liveaboard in Komodo.

Do your divemaster training in Bali or, better yet, the Gili Islands where there are tons of people taking Open Water and AOW, the water is warm, the currents minimal, the dive centers have years and years of running good internships. Good divemaster training focuses on relationships with students and instructors and is best suited in areas like the Gili Islands, not with people in the midst of their trip of a lifetime. When you finish, celebrate your success with a liveaboard in Komodo.

I was partially avoiding Gili because of the "party" atmosphere I've read about. I am looking for a quieter location, not really a party scene in addition to the DMT. Do you think it'd be worth doing the DMT on Gili Air or Meno? Or Gili T is the best choice for a dive school?

Scuba Junkie in LBJ. 3 dives a day.
Time is on my side in scuba trip.
As for speed boat: thank you very much and never again since my experience in Palau nearly 20yrs ago. Fast but ultra uncomfortable.

I was partially avoiding Gili because of the "party" atmosphere I've read about. I am looking for a quieter location, not really a party scene in addition to the DMT. Do you think it'd be worth doing the DMT on Gili Air or Meno? Or Gili T is the best choice for a dive school?

For sure look into Gili Air. I absolutely love it. There is enough going on to have a little fun if you want but is NOTHING like the sh-t show on Gili T. Contact Blue Marine as a starting point. They are on the quieter side of the island. Manta Dive is solid too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom