What if a free diver breathes from scuba regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zixzax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. I've always been wondering what would happen if a free diver at 10 or 20 meters depth who suddenly cannot hold his/her breath grabs a regulator from a scuba diver and breathe. My imagination is:
1. He/she can exhale first and then breathe normally with the reg, but cannot release it until surfaced.
2. If it is within 10 meters depth, he/she can let go the reg and do CESA to ascend.
Could anyone tell me if I am wrong? Would there be a lung problem? Just curious about it. Thanks.

they can breathe normally and ascend which is ideal. If necessary, they can certainly take a breath and CESA to the surface exhaling continuously to prevent embolism. Not recommended, certainly under emergency scenarios only, but if it's risk of SWB/death or hopping onto a second stage, then so be it.

As an aside, most mermaid shows are done on scuba. Divers will come back to a tank or diving bell, breathe, then do their scene while breath holding. Somewhat similar depending on pool depth, but even 10ft is deep enough for embolism

Extremely risky. Tons of potential problems, but I suppose the most likely is if the free diver fails to exhale at a constant rate, embolism is very possible. Especially if they pannick and boot for the surface.

It would be easiest to clear the regulator using the purge button if deep enough that air in freedivers lungs is compressed extensively.

It would be safest to take couple of breaths and then make a normal controlled scuba ascent WITH the scuba diver and breathing continuosly from the regulator. So swutching from freediving to scuba but finishing the dive safely and slowly scuba style to prevent dci and lung injuries. Controlling buoyancy might be a problem if the freediver is using heavy suit .
might still have lots of safety concerns if not practiced and planned beforehand

I've had free divers want to take a breath from my octo, and (unless i thought they were in danger, which i don't believe ever happened), I'd refuse them. You have no way of knowing if they understand the risk, and how to prevent it. They may take a breath, and hold it all the way back to the surface, ultimately wrecking both your lives !

I've had free divers want to take a breath from my octo, and (unless i thought they were in danger, which i don't believe ever happened), I'd refuse them. You have no way of knowing of they understand the risk, and how to prevent it. They may take a breath, and hold it all the way back to the surface, ultimately wrecking both your lives !
Yep I would not let the freediver take a breath and then let go of the octo and surface. Too much risk of breathholding and serious injuries and no way knowing if they understand anything about compressed air diving.

This is where a long hose setup becomes handy... They cannot grab your octo by themselves so less possibility for uncontrolled reg stealing stuff :)

The one risk is them holding their breath after taking a breath from the regulator at depth, if they breath out, then I can't see a problem.....

Well, yeah, in an ideal case, there wouldn't be a problem here. The concern, as already discussed, is that the scuba diver has no way of knowing the freediver's knowledge or intentions.The OP mentions a CESA in the original post, so he's aware of the basic mechanics involved.

The one risk is them holding their breath after taking a breath from the regulator at depth, if they breath out, then I can't see a problem.
Remember, 'competitive' free divers have scuba safety divers at various depth to render assistance if they get into trouble.

I sure hope that NO certified scuba divers read this thread and take away anything other that this being a horrible idea. The OP isn’t discussing competition free divers, or some organized event where training or procedures are in place.

I witnessed a diver in the back of the Ginnie Ballroom with a “snorkeler” breathing from his octo and swimming allongside. I am usually in the “dive and let dive” camp, but I gave them a pretty stern ‘thumbs up’, and followed them long enough to make sure they were out of the cavern. ...just rediculous. I wish I had my GoPro with me that day.

What if a free diver breathes from scuba regulator?

They become SCUBA divers.

If they are not trained SCUBA divers, they could get in some serious trouble. I've done the trick before, but keep it to a minimum, no sense asking for space in the A&I forum.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom