What I want in a gear bag, but can't find.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeddah Aquanaut

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A few months ago on a dive boat in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, I saw one diver with a cool gear bag. Essentially it's a normal soft nylon-type outer shell, and inside space for two milk crate-like containers. Didn't get the brand name. Can clean off the dive gear, leave in the crates and put back in afterwards. Any ideas?

I just use a wheeled gear bag, big enough for my personal gear and regs, and small enough to fit under the bench in the boat. You do not need a really big one. Many dive shops carry these in stock. It is a lot easier to roll something up and down a boat ramp than carry it.

I have an old bag from US Divers. Maybe a 1995 model. It has a plastic crate inside. Very nice bag.

Problem is I lost the crate and can't find one of the same size.

Now, I bought a plastic crate and had a bag shop make a bag to fit it. Very nice actually. Plus nobody knows it contains dive gear. That helps too.

Akona makes very nice roller bags. Fins on the sides and good pockets. Check it out.

Roller bags may be great for carrying stuff a long distance...but if you come divin in NC...boat cpts and most passengers will not smile at you. They dont fit under the seat...they trip people .... not good for going on a typical boat.

For flights I use a non descript roller bag with my gear also in tupper ware like containers....but once where ever I am going... I carry my gear in an Armor mesh bag with back straps, internal dry bag, outer bag (not dry), and like i said...mesh so the water can drip out after the dive.

good luck on your choice....you may actually be looking for two bags.....
rich

Thanks for the ideas. I shall continue my quest for the ideal divebag or bags. Oh, by the way, went diving south of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia today, and we saw 7 or 8 silver tipped reef sharks (I think that's what they called them). Real cool. Closest one passed within 2 meters of me. Awesome.

Back
Top Bottom