What I learned when I lost my camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I wasn't sure where to post this - hope this is an ok place.

I lost my camera on the first day of a two week dive trip in Cozumel (night dive on Paradise). Not gonna lie – it was a bit heartbreaking. But keeping things in perspective is important. We all lived, with all limbs attached and no medical issues. The camera can and will be replaced. But man oh man, I learned some cool things.

People are amazing. My husband’s first words when we got back to the dock after losing my camera were ‘One thing I know for certain – you’re getting a new camera. It means too much to you to not have one.’ He’s a great guy. (that was the only time I came near tears). Everyone around me was so compassionate and helpful. We quickly began to laugh about all the amazing shots I was missing – miming taking photos of things that seemed to ‘come out of the woodwork’ and I’d never see if I had my camera!! I flooded my mask a few times smiling or laughing so hard at myself and fellow divers miming getting that ‘perfect shot’.

I got lots of great advice to avoid losing another camera. I still think the best advice is to somehow hook me up to a generator, so if I hit the water without my camera hooked to my BC, I’ll get a powerful electrical shock – but I haven’t figured out the logistics of it yet.

Without a camera in my hands I took better stock of how my BC was set up. I moved some things around – changed where my secondary and SPG were attached to create a more streamlined and compact profile.

I realized I really am a ‘do-er’. If I’m not ‘doing’ something I feel like I’m somehow wasting my time. I’m a THERAPIST for pete’s sake – this was a good lesson for me, and opportunity to practice at human ‘being’ rather than human ‘doing’. I wonder how many critters I saw withOUT a camera, that I wouldn’t have seen WITH it. When I’m taking photos, I have my nose down, looking at one specific thing. Without the camera, I see the critter, wave and say hello, and move along. It was kind of cool.

The funny thing about underwater photography is that the ONLY people who really appreciate what they’re looking at are other divers. So, you folks here, and a sub-group I created on my facebook account are the only people who understand that when they’re looking at a painted elysia it’s not the size of a pumpkin – it’s no bigger than a small piece of rice. Non-divers look at the pics and yawn. So truly, the pics are for me and for a few other divers who will celebrate with me when I get that really great blenny shot. And that’s enough for me.

As much as I enjoyed my time without my camera, I ordered a new one today.:cool:

I have a $130 Intova camera. About the size of my hand and easy to ignore when clipped off. I love taking wreck photos, but I don’t think I want to haul a big camera rig around. Even a GoPro on a tray might me a bit much. May upgrade to a GoPro eventually.

I’ll disagree on the only other divers really interested thing. Maybe it depends on the photo subject matter.

Sorry to hear about your camera

If its any consolation I had witnessed a local diver here leave his expensive G7X Mk.2 fully kitted with the lights and all on his car's roof as he started driving out, he did not hear us screaming to him and hit the gas, the thing went flying and hit the curve breaking it completely.

Which is why I stick with GoPro

Sorry to hear about your camera

If its any consolation I had witnessed a local diver here leave his expensive G7X Mk.2 fully kitted with the lights and all on the top of his car's roof as he started driving out, he did not hear us screaming to him and hit the gas, the thing went flying and hit the curve, breaking it completely.

Which is why I stick with GoPro

Thanks - and OUCH!

People are amazing.

Aren't they? On the last day of our Belize Aggressor IV trip in April, some of us disembarked to take a walk up the pier. One of the woman had tucked her phone into the pocket of her swimsuit coverup - a loose fitting mesh cover. They'd taken up the ramp for some reason, so we were just hopping the gap. Of course her brand new iPhone 12 bounced out of her pocket and fell off the pier and into the muck next to the boat. Despite the crew saying the phone was likely lost forever, John (one of our wonderful DMs) geared up and went searching. Sadly he didn't find the phone, but it was such a kind thing to do.

Subsequently we all met in the parlor for lunch and covid tests. This same woman's dive buddy went downstairs to use the head on the dive deck. She tripped over a hose and fell....her phone clattering out of her hand and off the deck and right into the muck! We figured both phones were gone forever. After we got home, we got a text from the group....after we all checked out and left, John got back in his gear and went searching again. He managed to find both phones! These women were staying in Belize for a few more days and were able to arrange to have their phones picked up and delivered to them. It was definitely above and beyond what anyone expected. (The phones were both in waterproof cases and fully functioning after retrieval.)

I take a picture of a hand written note with my name and phone number as the first photo on my camera and "delete protect" it so it is always on the card. That way if anyone finds the camera and looks at the pictures they can hopefully contact me if they are honest.

Sorry to hear about the camera loss, especially because (if I read the other post correctly) "we" dive with the exact same Olympus/Inon rig.

I put "we" in quotes because I don't dive with our camera. I bought it early last year with the full intent to be the next great UW photographer the world would never know. Instead, I became an even bigger air hog - didn't think that was even possible - and found myself doing exactly what you described. That is, missing out on a ton of stuff as I was too busy messing with the equipment and trying to frame 'the' shot.

Instead, now my wife or whatever kid is with us gets the honors. They enjoy it, have the air to spare, and all the sudden I'm pointing stuff out for them to shoot. Pure definition of a win-win.

Looking forward to seeing more of your pics once the replacement finds its way into your hands. :)

Sorry about your loss. I assume it was a much more expensive one than mine. I got a yellow camera as a gift (uses film). I took it on my only tropical dive trip (Panama). Nothing IMO worth photographing in Nova Scotia, though many will disagree.
So, I figure I lost it on the dive. It wasn't flopping around on my BC. I knew I had it tethered to me somewhere. It was above my head floating. Still can't figure why a camera would be positively buoyant when it's for underwater. Can't even recall how I "tied it down" for the rest of the dives, but got some good coral pics.

Aren't they? On the last day of our Belize Aggressor IV trip in April, some of us disembarked to take a walk up the pier. One of the woman had tucked her phone into the pocket of her swimsuit coverup - a loose fitting mesh cover. They'd taken up the ramp for some reason, so we were just hopping the gap. Of course her brand new iPhone 12 bounced out of her pocket and fell off the pier and into the muck next to the boat. Despite the crew saying the phone was likely lost forever, John (one of our wonderful DMs) geared up and went searching. Sadly he didn't find the phone, but it was such a kind thing to do.

Subsequently we all met in the parlor for lunch and covid tests. This same woman's dive buddy went downstairs to use the head on the dive deck. She tripped over a hose and fell....her phone clattering out of her hand and off the deck and right into the muck! We figured both phones were gone forever. After we got home, we got a text from the group....after we all checked out and left, John got back in his gear and went searching again. He managed to find both phones! These women were staying in Belize for a few more days and were able to arrange to have their phones picked up and delivered to them. It was definitely above and beyond what anyone expected. (The phones were both in waterproof cases and fully functioning after retrieval.)

I love this!!! Thanks!

I take a picture of a hand written note with my name and phone number as the first photo on my camera and "delete protect" it so it is always on the card. That way if anyone finds the camera and looks at the pictures they can hopefully contact me if they are honest.

Key phrase "if they are honest". If not, they'll clear the camera, peel off any stickers and it's a done deal. I guess my hope is that a local found it and sold it to feed their family. Maybe some good came of it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom