What happened to my post?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
A few days ago I posted my feedback on my latest and sincere efforts to use a Sea and Sea product on the Sea and Sea forum and the outcome was not entirely favorable to the manufacturer.
I believe my observations were reasonably objective and I commented on what I saw as the strengths of the product as well as the weaknesses.
Now I see that my post has been deleted and the thread locked- with the last post being by the Sea and Sea rep!
Questions:
Is the moderator for this forum the Sea and Sea Rep?
Are these forums supposed to be fair and open?

If the Sea and Sea Rep or the moderator didn't agree with me they should have posted a suitable reply and then locked the thread, but to simply delete it without even letting me know means that this forum is biased and scubaboard users should be aware if this is the case.

El Oran
This matter has been dealt with and the response from the Scubaboard moderators was that
the understanding with the "manufacturers for their forums is basically "the forum is yours to do what you want with it."
Therefore,
I should feel free to start another thread on this topic outside the Sea&Sea forum as the final say on topics in the Sea&Sea forum rests with the Sea&Sea representative.

"PS I know you put some time into the original post, so here it is for your cut-and-paste for pleasure"

August 4th, 2008 03:53 PM
I give up!!
Just spent 10 days in Grand Turk and dived the DX-1G every day.
I really wanted this camera to work and gave it every opportunity to do so!
In summary, it's a great little camera set-up (package with wide angle lens/ YS-27DX strobe etc) for normal to wide angle work using auto settings with the strobe to fill in.
Trouble is that I am more interested in macro and in this capacity (using the obligatory manual settings) it has a terminal shortcoming in relation to the "live view" only being available in a mode that shows the exposure.
Enough has been said about the dark screen in the past so I won't go over that again.
My attempt to make it work included using a focus light mounted on the shoe and carefully using the half shutter press to quickly identify the target and compose the image before being plunged once again into darkness (it brightens for a second or two while the camera focuses).
A good plan I thought but alas Sea and Sea had one last trick up their sleeve that I somehow overlooked.....the rear viewing port for the camera viewfinder is TINTED !!!!!!!!!

Someone in the Sea and Sea design department obviously thought that having a dark coloured back on the camera looked quite spiffy, and it does! But I seeing a camera viewfinder underwater is difficult enough without tinting the port- unbelievable, and the last straw.
This one is going on Ebay, in pristine condition at a bargain price.

For me it is time to forget about camera that can do wide angle and macro in one dive and get back to a housed SLR (DSLR).
As I indicated to the moderators I have no interest in pursuing this matter other than to provide information (and share information) that is helpful to members...underwater photography is a fun pastime with many potential (financial) pitfalls and we should help each other as much as possible by sharing our knowledge.
Buyer beware and forum members share!
Col

We have worked long and hard to bring the manufacturers here to ScubaBoard and we now have over 40 participating! Each of these forums bears the name of the individual manufacturers and they have the ability to edit and delete posts that they feel are inappropriate for whatever reason. In your case, I believe you had made a similar criticism already, and they had given a response. Continually bringing up your criticism does nothing to resolve the fact that you are expecting too much from an entry level camera! As you noted, the much more expensive solution seems to be what you need.

The Manufacturer's private forums were never meant to be the place debate the suitability of their product over another one. Such comparisons are best done in the respective general forums. In your case, the photography forum would have been better suited for this kind of critique. We will be reworking the wording of the description in the Q & A for Scuba Manufacturers to more clearly indicate this.

Thanks for your concern and I hope that this answers your question!

Netdoc
Thanks for answering my concerns.
I stand corrected in my use of the manufacturers forum for discussing these points and in future will try to ensure I use the correct forum.
As for the camera being "entry level", well yes, compared to a typical DSLR system but when I spend over $2000 on a hobby item I expect it to work as intended.
"Expecting too much"! I don't think so. I could simply see that the DX-1G is so close to being a great all round little system for the uw photo hobbyist, regardless of cost, it was just let down by a few simple issues that could have been addressed.
Thanks again
RR

Back
Top Bottom