What Gear Not To Buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tickler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I see posts all the time about new divers needing help to choose gear. When I was getting started, I loved to buy gear. In between big purchases (BCD, Regs, Tanks, etc) I would stop in and drool over the expensive stuff and usually would end up walking out of the shop with some minor piece of gear that I convinced myself I needed.

So, instead of telling new divers what to buy, I was hoping that some us could share what bits of gear you really kicked yourself for spending money on.

My top few mistakes include a gear keeper, an overkill dive knife, a computer that was the same as the Puck but cost about as much as a petrel, and an expensive noise maker/ shaker. IMO you should avoid purchasing these items.

Please let me know that I am not the only one to have been dipped in glue and rolled through a scuba shop by clever marketing ploys. What mistakes have you bought?

You are not the only one :wink: I love the dyi section here at sb. we bought a little slate, I'm going to try a home made one made out of an old 3 inch blind...it has a hole to attach leash and pencil already. We I'll see if it works, I can't see why not. I was too lazy to do the pvc cut/straighten. Bought tank banger, made one with hair band an brass hose fitting. My biggest mistake...a game bag. I surely don't have the skill to catch a lobster...I'd be ooa super quick, and then a statistic.

Well I would say the horse collar bc but it was the fist with a power inflator! Keep wanting to take it on a dive trip but wifey won't let me. (But I really didn't hate it, it served me well for many dives so maybe I should delete this reply) bill

Big mistake was the steel 120 tank. At times I do a lot of walking geared up....... Pocket weightbelt has lasted from the start (10 yrs.), but I think a harness would've been maybe a better choice.

Once I decided to stop renting, I was talked into a full Scubapro kit. I grew out of it technically within a few months. The only time I ever use it now is when I dive with my wife who likes her Scubapro kit. There's nothing wrong with it but I like a BPW or sidemount when I dive for fun.

Also, I bought two 130 cf steel tanks. It's like carrying a pickup truck on my back. They're in storage in the USA because no one in Japan would fill them.

I saw this often when I worked at a dive shop, people buy full kits before they really know if scuba diving is for them then it ends up for sale on Craigslist heavily discounted.

Things with excessive or flimsy plastic parts and non-ykk zippers.

GJS

What not to buy?

1) Exposure equipment that is too big or small - ie wetsuit,drysuit, gloves,boots, hood etc
Get the fit right and you'll be comfy diving. Get it wrong and you'll be cursing.

2) Tank banger - buy a marine grade stainless steel boltsnap instead. It has more than 1 use, lasts for ages and looks shiny.

3) A big massive knife located on leg - get a smaller knife and stick it on the BC where you can access it easily and/or buy shears as well.

4) A camera. Get comfy diving before you embark on this activity.

A big massive knife located on leg - get a smaller knife and stick it on the BC where you can access it easily and/or buy shears as well.
For some divers, that's correct. For others, like me, it's wrong.

It's all about choosing the right tools for the job. For some jobs a big blade is the right tool.

For some divers, that's correct. For others, like me, it's wrong.
It's all about choosing the right tools for the job. For some jobs a big blade is the right tool.

List please.

Sure, no problem. A few things I've used my knife for, where a small blade or shears would be the wrong tool:
  • Prying scallops from the bottom
  • Stabbing monkfish, wolffish or flatfish
  • Cutting bread or other food topside
  • Banging on stuff with the handle to get them loose
  • Banging on my tank to get buddy's attention
  • Chopping driftwood for a small fire during the SI
For me, a knife is a multitool, while a small knife or a pair of shears - or a trilobite - is only a cutting tool. As such, they're fine, but only as a complement to my multitool, a calf-mounted 20cm/8" blade BFK.

But as I said, different divers have different requirements. You may dive in an environment where those tasks aren't relevant, and then a small cutting tool may be the right tool for you. And to get back on topic, one diver's wasted money may be considered well spent by another diver in another situation and environment.

Back
Top Bottom