What external monitor are you using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConchyJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am looking to buy a 32" monitor, mainly because I am getting and and can't see! I am running a MacBook Pro Retina 15".

I see there are a lot of 32" monitor's with IPS. Anybody using one? I'm thinking one of the 4K monitors for when I get a new MacBook.

Any calibration systems I need to have to set up the monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Do you actually need 4K?, I'm quite happy with my NEC PA302W screen which is 2560 x 1600. Mac seem to deal high res screens better than Windows, but a 4K screen won't necessarily be easier to see, an image of a given pixel size will actually appear smaller unless you are viewing in a 4K/Retina aware app.

Main benefit is a big image with plenty of room for toolbars and palletes spread around the image periphery .

Thanks Chris. My current monitor is only 1080, basically an LG TV. My thought was 4K for the near future as I have a late 2013 retina so thinking about something new there as well. I just put a 1TB M.2 in it to breath some life into. Thanks for the specifics on exactly what you are using. I will take a look at NEC.
Do you actually need 4K?, I'm quite happy with my NEC PA302W screen which is 2560 x 1600. Mac seem to deal high res screens better than Windows, but a 4K screen won't necessarily be easier to see, an image of a given pixel size will actually appear smaller unless you are viewing in a 4K/Retina aware app.

Main benefit is a big image with plenty of room for toolbars and palletes spread around the image periphery .

I use a Datacolor Spyder5Pro to calibrate my monitor Previously I used the Spyder 3 but upgraded to the 5 when I bought a new monitor it definatly makes a difference.

I run windows not Mac

What will be your main use for the new monitor?

Based on your question about calibration, I will assume that photo and/or video editing will be a significant part of what you will be doing. If so, you will also need to consider the "colour space". Will you want a monitor that can show 100% of the Adobe ProPhoto colour space ($$$$) or, since images posted to the web are in sRGB, would a monitor that is capable of displaying the full sRGB colour space meet your needs?
sRGB-vs-Adobe-RGB-vs-ProPhoto-RGB-573x650.png

Typically monitors that you will find on the shelves at your local Staples or Best Buy will not be capable of displaying either of these to 100%.

FWIW, I am also looking for a new computer and monitor. The biggest thing that I do that will be driving my ultimate selection will be photo editing. While I have not totally ruled out an iMac (I am keeping an eye on the Apple refurbished page), it looks as though I will probably be going with a Mac Mini and a new monitor. Like I said, I do a lot of photo editing, but I am not a pro who relies on selling my work to make a living, so for me, I can not justify the expence of getting a monitor capable of the 100% Adobe ProPhoto colour space. I do however post my images to the web and I want to best possible image I can get, so I am looking at a monitor that will display 100% of the sRGB color space.

I don't know if that helps or not, but I hope it does (or at least gives you something else to consider).

Thanks for the feedback Cayman buddy! Bought a used spyder4.
I use a Datacolor Spyder5Pro to calibrate my monitor Previously I used the Spyder 3 but upgraded to the 5 when I bought a new monitor it definatly makes a difference.

I run windows not Mac

Great question and awesome info! I have always shot mostly underwater. I have had the opportunity to start shooting above water, weddings, stingray excursions, beach portraits and such. One of the challenges I have had besides the learning curve of above water photography, was getting the photos right from a post processing perspective. I was receiving feedback that my photos were a bit dark. I finally determined that the monitor I was using was not giving me the same results as the retina screen on my Macbook Pro. This monitor is nothing more than a 32" 1080p LG TV.

I am quickly realizing that it is completely inadequate. The info you posted supports that completely!

It is a learning moment and experience for me as well, so thank you.

I am in Grand Cayman, so no Staples or Best Buy, hence my question on what others might be using.

One monitor I am interested in is the DELL S3219D as well as the NEC monitor mentioned above. The NEC is a 30" monitor but that would work as well.

What will be your main use for the new monitor?

Based on your question about calibration, I will assume that photo and/or video editing will be a significant part of what you will be doing. If so, you will also need to consider the "colour space". Will you want a monitor that can show 100% of the Adobe ProPhoto colour space ($$$$) or, since images posted to the web are in sRGB, would a monitor that is capable of displaying the full sRGB colour space meet your needs?
View attachment 501854

Typically monitors that you will find on the shelves at your local Staples or Best Buy will not be capable of displaying either of these to 100%.

FWIW, I am also looking for a new computer and monitor. The biggest thing that I do that will be driving my ultimate selection will be photo editing. While I have not totally ruled out an iMac (I am keeping an eye on the Apple refurbished page), it looks as though I will probably be going with a Mac Mini and a new monitor. Like I said, I do a lot of photo editing, but I am not a pro who relies on selling my work to make a living, so for me, I can not justify the expence of getting a monitor capable of the 100% Adobe ProPhoto colour space. I do however post my images to the web and I want to best possible image I can get, so I am looking at a monitor that will display 100% of the sRGB color space.

I don't know if that helps or not, but I hope it does (or at least gives you something else to consider).

PS. The challenge I have with the BenQ is that the reviews talk quite a bit about screen problems. Once something is here, it rarely leaves! I need something that has less negative reviews on a common occurance it seems.

Back
Top Bottom