What Equipment to get ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finchbee

Registered
Reaction score
My wife are I going diving again soon, we bought Computers for our last trip. What equipment is best to get for our next one, or do we just go for the whole lot ?

What else do you have and where are you going?

I'd go for the whole lot if you can. May as well get it done. If you have to choose financially between a reg/gauges and BC:

- if you're concerned or unsure about the rental gear, I'd buy your own regs. You really don't want something that breathes crappy or is prone to failure. Although if I were very concerned about the gear I might not want the rental BC either.

-if you're going someplace you're sure has good & well maintained rental gear, regs are one size fits all but it's really nice to have a BC that fits well and you are used to, you might not get that no matter how good the rentals are.

Much as I like computers, I would have bought that after a reg and BC, but too late for that. You can rent computers many places now.

Exposure protection may be another thing to consider.

finchbee:
My wife are I going diving again soon, we bought Computers for our last trip. What equipment is best to get for our next one, or do we just go for the whole lot ?

IMO get it all. If you are interested in new, you can really get some good deals by getting packages. I'm sure Larry at ScubaToys would be MORE than happy to knock down a good %% off his already very good prices if you were to purchase BCD/Regs/Gages for both you are your wife.

IMO your next purchase should be a BCD. People talk alot about the importance of Regs with good reason. However Reg's these days are very well built, and BCD's are the #1 reason for diving injury's do to equipment failure I believe (from DAN).

A second reason for the BC purchase is that it's going to help your diving. A reg is a reg even if some breath better. However trim, buoyancy control, weighting, and overall comfort is VERY tied to the BC, and different BC's fit, trim out, and dive very differently.

So IMO hands down the BC, but as I initially indicated, if you are into diving for the long haul, and have the $$$ get outfitted.

Good Luck,

I have to agree with Ron.

In my opinion a diver should purchase those items first which have the greatest effect upon buoyancy, the B/C and exposure protection.

The control of your buoyancy and maintenance of body termperature will do more than anything else to enhance your diving enjoyment.

Even if you are using rental regualtors, if yours fails, you have you buddy to give you support. But your buddy can do nothing to enhance your buoyancy.

The regulator would be in the second group of equipment that I'd purchase.

Like the others, I just went ahead and bit the bullet years ago when I purchased my gear. Keep in mind that the gear will cost more next year than it does this year.

the K

Thanks alot, was looking at some Dive Stores amd seems that you can get good packages on BC's and Regs on Scubapro stuff.

Damselfish the Computers were presents would agree not essential.

Well now have an idea of what to get ! BC for me (as I had three different ones last time we went as they were nop good !!) 1st but may try and get a pckage

If you can sustain the cash flow get it all.
Sooner or later you'll buy it all anyway so why suffer?
The earlier you buy it the more you'll use it and enjoy it.
Diving with all your own gear is really much more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom