What equipment significantly changed/improved your scuba diving experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProfessorAronnax

Contributor
Reaction score
For me it's my Full Face Mask (there's something wonderful about not sucking on a regulator, getting water up your nose or freezing water on your face) and a DPV (and I think 2012 is the year of the DPV) helping in currents, saving gas and the fun factor.

It would be interesting to hear from others: What 1 or 2 pieces of gear significantly changed your overall diving experience?

BP/W. Hands down

drysuit and steel 72's.
Drysuit just makes life better.
steel 72's have honestly been the most significant though. I have a set of double 72's and singles that I use for sidemount. It allows me to dive in a wetsuit without being incredibly over weighted, allows me to actually carry doubles without destroying my knees, has just made my diving experiences so much better. Sidemount was a close third though, but the tanks were quite literally life changers for me.
I learned how to dive in a bp/w so can't use that one, but drysuit and the 72's are still far more influential to me

My canister light. Not only was I able to see a lot more, but I now had a really good way to stay in constant communication with my buddy/ies. In our low light and often low viz, this was a very big deal. It was the first piece of equipment I upgraded, and still probably the biggest quantum step.

Drysuit. learned to dive in local water in a wetsuit. Gave it up (local diving) for more than 20 years until I bought a dry suit. Just way too much work and discomfort for the rewards. From diving less than 10 times a year all vacation diving to 50 - 70 dives a year.

Camera would be second. While I like poking around, having a goal and tasks to focus on makes it significantly more enjoyable for me.

BP/W was a sea-change in my diving skills. The single best purchase I ever made was a Seacure moldable mouthpiece. It reduced my air usage and allowed me to relax my jaw leading to fewer headaches and less overall fatigue!

Drysuit, Halcyon Infinity, good light, (low volume, black, single pane mask)

It wasn't so much gear as material, Denier, Velcro and Silicone....I'm now waiting for something so strong and light that a tank the size of an AL40 can be made that will hold 200cu.ft of air/nitrox.... My doubles are getting heavier and the dive sites farther every year !!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom