What emergency experiences teach you to dive more safely?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Scuba diving can be exciting, relaxing, but underwater world also presents its own unpredictable challenges. A diving friend told his story about one night diving. He found something failed in his primary light and air also started to dump fast. Only having a couple of minutes of air left scared him at that point, luckily his dive buddies helped him. This caused him to rethink the dive planning and equipment. No longer go in deep water without spare air and always take at least 2 lights alongside.

Some of you may have gone through other emergency experiences underwater, ending up without causing harm is lucky, but still scary and dangerous! What emergency experiences you’ve had during scuba diving? How did you handle it? From this, you must know more about diving safety. Welcome to share it! Your suggestions will be helpful for other divers.

Other than a shark having a go at me on a night dive 250 miles from the nearest hospital I had one experience that taught me a lesson.

I dive solo a lot. To make attaching the pony bottle easier I get into the water without gloves on. I always stuck the gloves in the crack between the low pressure inflator hose and the larger manual inflator/dump hose. Worked like a charm for years. Then got a new BCD and did the same. Somehow pulling the gloves out of the crack of the new BCD after getting the pony bottle attached I managed to accidentally disconnect the low pressure inflator hose and didn't realize it till it was time to put some air into the BCD. I was sinking quickly and the gloves made it almost impossible to re-attach the low pressure inflator hose. By now I was sinking quite fast and trying to decide whether it would be faster to keep trying with the gloves on or take one of the gloves off and use my bare hand. In the heat of the moment it never occurred to me to manually inflate the BCD - DUH!

Finally kept trying with the gloves on and managed to get everything sorted just before hitting 28M. 50 years of diving experience and still managed to screw up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom