What d'ya call a wood beam for photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please help me! I have hunted the internet till my eyes have crossed. Someone out there knows the answer.

I saw a 4x4 wood beam attached to the wall. It had a groove down the center of the top. The groove held framed photographs.

I want one for my office. I just don't know what they're called or where to get them. Your help will save my sanity (what's left).

A 4x4 wood beam with a groove down the center.

the K

Didn't want to sound like a smart butt, nkw5.

I don't know if there is a specific name for what you seek. I do a lot of woodwork and have never heard of a proper name for such a critter.

But anyone with a circular saw or router can make something like that for ya.

Just find a 4x4 beam of the wood of your choice and have someone cut a groove lengthwise down the center or with a router.

Put some mounting bolts/screws in the studs on the wall which you want it placed and locate some recessed mounting hardware on the back side of the beam.

If you can't find a 4x4 beam, glue up some 1x4's.

If you want it have somewhat of a rustic appearance, have it lightly sand blasted. The sand blasting will will remove the softer parts of the wood more rapidly than it will the harder parts. The harder parts will be slightly raised and give it a weathered appearance.

the K

Kraken, I read your first reply and was gonna call you a name or two (I was afraid I was asking for some kooky answers with my post), but your second post redeemed you. Now if only I had one of those tools or knew someone who did.... Anyway I really appreciate your info. At least I know I probably can't buy such a thing and can start barking up a different tree.

Called a grooved plate/picture shelf. Go to any home decorating place or art supply place like Michael's and thy will have it.

Kraken, I read your first reply and was gonna call you a name or two (I was afraid I was asking for some kooky answers with my post), but your second post redeemed you. Now if only I had one of those tools or knew someone who did.... Anyway I really appreciate your info. At least I know I probably can't buy such a thing and can start barking up a different tree.

He has his moments.:rofl3::rofl3:

Sorry K-nowlidgeable one.:D

nkw5,

There are commercially retail available shelf brackets which are quite nice. They have a couple of radii on them and the edges are sculpted. Get a couple of those, a 1x4 board of your desired length, some Gorilla glue, a bout 4 nails, some shelf/bracket hanging inserts and you're off to the races.

If you don't know of anyone who has a router or circular saw, just get a screwdriver, draw a line on top of the board (if you can get something to help you maintain a straight groove it would be good) and just scribe a groove in the topl. Once you define the groove, you can keep gouging until you obtain the depth and width you desire.

A little "sweat equity" if you would.

the K

It's called a Gallery Shelf. Google it. Some of them will not have the groove.

Okay. Once again you Scubaboarders impress me. Mystery solved. Thanks for your help. Now I can either make one (not sure if I wanna make a groove with a screwdriver) or buy one.

Back
Top Bottom