Question What does this mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrissyP

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone

Apologies if I’m asking this in the wrong forum… does anyone know what this means ‘ATG NFI syndrome.’?

I saw it posted in a review elsewhere and it piqued my interest - I hope it’s nothing inappropriate…

Context is everything when it comes to the meaning of acronyms.

According to the Urban Dictionary, ATG may mean "Any Thing Goes", while NFI can signify "No F***ing Idea". The acronyms seem to be applied to retail outlets where ignorance reigns and nobody cares.

According to the UK National Health Service, NFI stands for "Neurofibromatosis, where growths occur along nerves affecting how the nerves can work". In medicine, ATG may be an abbreviation of "'antithymocyte globulin', which is an antibody preparation derived from rabbits or horses hyperimmunised with human thymocytes, which is used to prevent or treat acute cellular rejection after solid organ transplantation and as a therapy of acute aplastic anaemia".

Wow, thanks for that.

I’d seen the NHS definition which is why I thought it might be a health issue; I had no idea about the Urban dictionary lol! Thanks for solving the mystery 😀

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom