What does "normoxic" mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plongeursousmarin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I keep seeing this all over the place, I have no idea what it means. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Of course I don't know the first thing about tech diving, but I'm very interested. Some of it is pretty intimidating though.

I'm pretty sure it indicates a gas that has a normal amount of oxygen.. ie, 21%.

AFAIK, it's typically used as "normoxic trimix" to indicate trimix with 21% O2.. such as 21/35, which has 21% O2 and 35% He.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think normoxic means a gas mixture with 21% oxygen.

srbsep:
Correct me if I am wrong but I think normoxic means a gas mixture with 21% oxygen.

Normal + Oxygen = Normoxic = same percentage of O2 as air

Hypo + Oxygen = Hypoxic = a fraction of O2 less than air

Hypo as a prefix means less than "less than" or "under"

Hyper + Oxygen = Hyperoxic = a fraction of O2 greater than air. Think EANx

Hyper as a prefix means "more than" or "above"

Tobin

Normoxic means it contains an O2 content that is breatheable at 1 ATA....16% - 21%, and not hypoxic (< 16%) nor hyperoxic (> 21%...more O2 than is required).

In diving, normoxic trimix classes will typically allow you to breathe mixtures of 18/45, 21/35, plus anything in the hyperoxic region.

cool_hardware52:
Normal + Oxygen = Normoxic = same percentage of O2 as air

Hypo + Oxygen = Hypoxic = a fraction of O2 less than air

Hypo as a prefix means less than "less than" or "under"

Hyper + Oxygen = Hyperoxic = a fraction of O2 greater than air. Think EANx

Hyper as a prefix means "more than" or "above"

Tobin

the stuff i learn from this forum..... priceless:)

Spoon:
the stuff i learn from this forum..... priceless:)

I wouldn't say priceless, some of the stuff found here can cost you your sanity, one piece at a time.

Now Google is priceless. Of all the free things I use on a daily basis, that's the one I'd be willing to pay for. Wait, I better shut up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom