What does it take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My M.S. in Biology is 11 years old now. I didn't do as much with it as I would have liked, because I never knew how or where to present myself in the job market. But in the course of acquiring the M.S., I learned a lot about coastal ecosystems, and did my share of hands-on ichthyology, sorting specimens to ID them. I feel I could have been useful in marine science, if I had taken the right opportunities at the right times.

Recently, I learned Data Analytics, in an attempt to keep my skill set up to date and maybe, finally, get into the science world. So far, no dice. I am underemployed as usual.

Is there anything I can do without spending an arm an a leg to get (belatedly) into this field, given my existing background?

A GIS course is an awesome asset to have and they're pretty widespread
DiveMaster is always helpful. Or at least Rescue I have found.

It’s a lot easier to make a diver out of a scientist than a scientist out of a diver. I’d concentrate on the science part considering the mess the world is in.

Also, What parts of the science world are you interested in? The MS in Bio covers a lot, did you do a thesis? What would you like to do?

It’s a lot easier to make a diver out of a scientist than a scientist out of a diver. I’d concentrate on the science part considering the mess the world is in.
I agree that concentrating on science is the right way to go. However, for a lot of Dive Tech positions in MS, having prior boating experience captaining small vessels is great, especially if it can be documented.
Also there are many volunteer positions to gain the experience necessary for more competitive marine tech positions. If Reefcheck is in your area, they are a good resource.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom