What does everybody Think about the AUL HID Lights???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepster0000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am interested in buying a canister HID light. So far I have looked at making one (takes too long, and is a PITA), buy a Dive Rite, or AUL (American Underwater Lighting). I have asked aroud about the AUL HID lights and hear great things. I have heard that they are just as good as a Dive Rite's but with more burn time. I was interested in the AUL with 5 hours of burntime. The diverite compact mr11 HID head with the mls canister also has a 5 hour burn time. The dive rite is considerbly more. I have not heard any problems with the AUL lights. I have also not heard any problems with the DR light, but why pay more.

Can anyone tell me some good reasons why I should get the DR over the AUL. I also know about Dive Rite's new battery that is smaller and last longer. I have heard all about that nickel cadmium hydride (or something like that). IF I do go that route, I would upgrade in the future from either light. I don't want to hear how the DR is smaller and more stream lined. The little extra weight and size of the AUL is worth saving $200. I want to know if there is something mechanicly wrong with the AUL (brightness, breaks easier, false battery, floods more, breaks at depth, and other stuff like that).

I am honestly just trying to get more for my money.
Thanks
ADAM

...no problems so far other than the ones you mentioned (big, heavy, takes a little getting used to the effect on trim)...other than that, it burns forever, is bright, and has never flooded on me (and I bought it used).

You sold me on it......I will be purchasing one soon. The trim and size does not bother me as much, since you said they burn forever and don't leak. That is more important to me.

Thanks
ADAM

The trim and size does not bother me as much, since you said they burn forever and don't leak.

I wish mine was HID, but I got a good deal and it works fine for what I do. It took 5 dives or so to get used to its effects on weighting and trim, but now it doesn't bother me much.

Check out prices here. http://www.stealthdive.com/
He has the best prices around for Delrin Canisters with either a Dive Rite light head or a Extreme Exposure Head or no head at all.
Canisters have Nichel Metal Hydride batteries. (NiMH):thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom