What do you use to clean your sonic valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanimal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Given how important the valves are and that a dolphin appears prone to getting dirty valves, I was wondering how folks clean them. A buddy suggested using a ultra-sound cleaner, and I see that Harbor Freight has a couple of them.

What you folks use and has anyone used an ultrasound cleaner, since they are primarily used for cleaning jewerly it makes sense, but I would like to back that up with your experiences.

Thank you.

I've never had luck cleaning my Dolphin flow orifices. The dosage unit on my SCR started life as a Drager Atlantis, and finally, this year, I had the 50% and 60% flow orifices clog on me.

I tried an ultrasonic cleaner on both of the orifices, for the better part of a day, both with Simple Green as well as with a white vinegar bath. Neither one managed to do any good...in the end, I just forked over the $90 each for new parts, screwed them in, and was back in the water.

The better advice to you is to keep the orifices clean, keep them capped when not in use, and keep the innards dry as much as possible. Watch how you store the dosage block, and don't try to get yourself into a situation where the flow orifices might become dirty...

Harbor Freight is a good place to buy a unit... it's useful for other small parts cleaning, and it's really useful for O2 cleaning small bits and pieces. I managed to get zipper wax on my fill adapter once upon a time (but that's another story.)

don't buy anything from harbor frieght unless you are trying to fill up you rubbish bin.
To clean anything well with a ultrasonic cleaner , you need to invest in one that works. You will need to spend @ $300-$400 DOLLARS US. A heater in the unit would be good as well. Take a IANTD or TDI O2 technician class if you want to learn how to do it correctly.. good luck,dave

Camerone:
I've never had luck cleaning my Dolphin flow orifices. The dosage unit on my SCR started life as a Drager Atlantis, and finally, this year, I had the 50% and 60% flow orifices clog on me.

I tried an ultrasonic cleaner on both of the orifices, for the better part of a day, both with Simple Green as well as with a white vinegar bath. Neither one managed to do any good...in the end, I just forked over the $90 each for new parts, screwed them in, and was back in the water.

The better advice to you is to keep the orifices clean, keep them capped when not in use, and keep the innards dry as much as possible. Watch how you store the dosage block, and don't try to get yourself into a situation where the flow orifices might become dirty...

Harbor Freight is a good place to buy a unit... it's useful for other small parts cleaning, and it's really useful for O2 cleaning small bits and pieces. I managed to get zipper wax on my fill adapter once upon a time (but that's another story.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom