What do you use as a port cover ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a_squeakycat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Nauticam housing for the Sony Nex-7, 18-55mm lens, flat port. So what can I do to protect the port lens. I want to carry it during the dive so when I surface and hand it up to the crew I can slip it on before they take it.

I thought of that but haven't seen anything with a large enough diameter yet. Also though about cutting up one of my old wetsuits and gluing pieces together. but a while back I thought I saw a post somewhere on this forum where someone used something other than neoprene and was easier to slip on underwater. Can't find that post anymore

I use one of those beer can cozy things to cover the 30 macro port. Should be able to find one to fit that port as well.

Phil Rudin

I have bought a neoprene tummy trimmer
it is a length of 2mil neoprene 18cm by 100cm ...
I cut it down to 60cm so that it wraps the whole way around the the S59 Canon housing and the dome ports and with the strobes folded down
and 'sticks' back on itself because there is a length of velcro hooks along one 18cm edge

ie, none of the important bits are exposed

I carry the neorpene with me on the dive, on the surface wrap it up and hand it up to the boat
I also have one which is 22cm by 100cm, but that was too wide

Last edited:
I was diving with a woman yesterday who has the NEX5 in a similar housing. She was using a neoprene mask strap to protect her dome port. Had it tied off to the handles on either side of the camera tray, and after she got in the water she simply slid it down off the port, where it sat nicely against the tray until she was done diving ... then she put it back over the port before boarding the boat. Looked like a nice, cheap and simple solution to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Squeaky Cat - Interestingly enough, I had a customer ask me the same exact question today. I have few different port covers in the store, I'll check to see if I have anything that fits in the morning. That said, I rarely have seen macro ports get banged up, the edges around the port usually do a pretty good job of protecting the port. - Scott

oooo this sounds like a good idea, I think I wil try this

I was diving with a woman yesterday who has the NEX5 in a similar housing. She was using a neoprene mask strap to protect her dome port. Had it tied off to the handles on either side of the camera tray, and after she got in the water she simply slid it down off the port, where it sat nicely against the tray until she was done diving ... then she put it back over the port before boarding the boat. Looked like a nice, cheap and simple solution to me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added ----------

I have the kit lens (18-55) with the flat port not the macro port. It's 4 inches in diameter. Another idea I'm kicking around, although Bob's (Grateful diver) idea sounds like it would work is to get a doll knit cap and use that. I looked at newborn caps but they are too big for my port. If it's a knit cap I think I can DIY a cable tie and lanyard to keep it attached to my rig. That said if you have any other ideas, I'm all ears

Squeaky Cat - Interestingly enough, I had a customer ask me the same exact question today. I have few different port covers in the store, I'll check to see if I have anything that fits in the morning. That said, I rarely have seen macro ports get banged up, the edges around the port usually do a pretty good job of protecting the port. - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom