What do you or your lady friends use as BCD and regulators please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trapmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have convinced my lass to buy her own gear. I have been diving for many years, but am very out of date in the equipment race. What is good for a 100 pound petite lass advanced diver who has about 30-50 dives?

She says she wants a back flotation bc. I would love for her to go BP/W same set up as what i dive...Hollis or fathom one travel wing and aluminium back plate, apeks TX 50s sealed and balanced diaphram 1st stage, with a yoke. BUT... she is adamant that she wants a travel light back flotation thingy.

what do you ladies dive please? I want to do some sourcing for packages for her.
many thanks, TM

My wife uses a ScubaPro LadyHawk, but if she wants it lighter, try the LiteHawk. Very minimalist, and about as close as you can get to a BP/W without actually getting a BP/W.
We both dive with MK11/G250V regs.

My wife and dive buddy, who has ten years and hundreds of dives in her wake, swears by the sea quest Diva BCD, which is one of several specifically designed for women. It is not a bak inflate but rather a jacket style. I do not think your lass would care for a back inflate. I will not go into why. I just know. Given her petite size, the Diva might weigh a pound more at most than the lightest option. My wife got hers years ago, but I believe there is a similar model available even if by a different name. The Diva also will last forever if properly maintained and it's easy to get parts and service After trying many different styles of regulator, she chose to use the Sherwood Oasis. I have one among my many sets of gear and like it too. I hope this input helps, whatever the fina purchase may be.
DivemasterDennis scubasnobs.com

I'm just slightly bigger than your wife, but I use a dive rite ali backplate and a hog 32lb wing with a one piece harness and hog regs. I love the set-up.

I tried to move my wife from her original jacket which she was ready to replace to a BP/W but she said no. She settled on a DR Transpac with travel wing and was quite happy with it initially. The we packed our gear, her Transpac and my UL plate and 18 lb wing. She picked the 2 up and saw the light. She will eventually make the switch.

She also tried and rejected a 5' hose on her primary. Didn't like the wrap around the back of the neck. She is happy with the 40" hose and a right angle fitting on her primary.

I found it hard to find a standard BC that fit, and I'm about your wife's size. You can tell her from me that she will be much happier with a backplate and continuous harness, where she can adjust it so it works perfectly. For tropical travel, I use a DSS Kydex backplate, and when I dove wet, I used the 17 pound travel wing, which is as small, and packs as light as anything you can use to dive, I think.

My gf has a Halcyon Infinity in pink (30lb lift wing) & Scubapro MK11/S555

For tropical diving my wife wears a 3 mil suit. She's about 5'4" and 130 lbs.

Deep Sea Supply Kydex plate size small w/ hogarthian harness
Deep Sea Supply 17 lb. Torus wing
Atomic B2 yoke w/ 6' hose (dedicated tropical reg, she uses a DIN / 7' in a drysuit))

Until Aqualung came out with their new traveling BC (the Zuma), which weighs the same, her rig was lighter than anything else we could find, and durable as heck.

I'd submit that weight reduction is great - up to a point - eventually you reach diminishing returns, where yes, it's nice and light, but the fit/features/durability are compromised. That is one reason she uses the DSS Kydex plate, there are no compromises and it's still very, very light.

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom