What do you love and what do you hate about your unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@flymolo call cave adventurers on the boots, Edd usually has a pile of them.
I have a 3l on each side, one for inflation, the other for O2. You do have to be careful about the first stage, but if you put the knobby valves on the 3l it works well. I have normal ones, but they're set so when it leans back, it is sitting on the valve outlet. Dirty maybe, but it is what it is.
They are the same bayonets used on the Golem BOV/DSV.

Cell checker would be dependent on how much pressure the head can take or the cell carriage. Most are not designed for differential pressure.

@flymolo call cave adventurers on the boots, Edd usually has a pile of them.
I have a 3l on each side, one for inflation, the other for O2. You do have to be careful about the first stage, but if you put the knobby valves on the 3l it works well. I have normal ones, but they're set so when it leans back, it is sitting on the valve outlet. Dirty maybe, but it is what it is.
They are the same bayonets used on the Golem BOV/DSV.

Cell checker would be dependent on how much pressure the head can take or the cell carriage. Most are not designed for differential pressure.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Do you have the "coke bottle" style boots that are often found on fabers? How do they stand? I figured they'd be wobbily so I was looking around for the other style- the flat bottomed ones I have on my worthington and pst tanks.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Do you have the "coke bottle" style boots that are often found on fabers? How do they stand? I figured they'd be wobbily so I was looking around for the other style- the flat bottomed ones I have on my worthington and pst tanks.

normal faber ones, they are fine. Do their job and while they are a bit wobbly, I have mine set to lean back into the 3l's and it's fine. Even with the hard plastic boots I think it would be too back heavy to stand up properly

normal faber ones, they are fine. Do their job and while they are a bit wobbly, I have mine set to lean back into the 3l's and it's fine. Even with the hard plastic boots I think it would be too back heavy to stand up properly

Yeah, that's what I suspected. I figure I'll give it a try anyways. I've been mounting my inflation bottle on the backplate like regular doubles but I had to move it down to a lower rung on the backplate so it wouldn't restrict the counterlungs. I may try piggybacking a larger one at some point in the future.

I've only ever used an AP (Inspiration).
I learnt on a classic, bought a vision, and since had the vision upgraded to a 2020.
I have looked at the JJ and liked the look of it.

One advantage of having an Inspiration is they are local, so support is easy.
The only issues I've had are the odd sensor, a sensor cable and after sometime, two HP seats leaking slightly. But in fairness that's after almost 13 years of having the unit.
It's been back once for the 2020 upgrade.

It's stock, except I use a backplate rather than the standard harness.
I did consider getting a frame rather than the ABS box, but never bothered.
I did break the ABS mounting to the Backplate after dropping it off the Quay. But fixed it with s stainless steel re-enforcing plate. (I did a week with it held together with ZIP ties, before I made the repair).

It's big drawback is its not entirely travel friendly. 20kg's +.
Although it's been out to the Red Sea a number of times over the years.

Fairly new CCR diver. Experience is a few dives on OMG C96, one Optima dive and I have a Prism 2 OTS CL Shearwater canbus electronics.

Good:
- Common o2 sensors
- Pretty decent support market for it
- Hollis replied to any emails I sent
- The clear canister lets you see if there is water accumulated in it (buddy)
- Pretty well made. CLs can support unit, etc.
- WOB is said to be really great, I've never noticed an issue after spending a lot of time on it. I notice issues when using vintage double hose regs and the like (sore chest.)
- Old ADV made me slightly nervous/annoyed since it wouldn't fire and you had to massage it around, new one way more sensitive (need to spend more time on unit to judge the newer version ADV.) Seems like they corrected this.

Would improve:
- Rumored to be produced in China, cheaper spares would be cool (pass on the savings of utilizing real manufacturing chain.)
- Tanks could be rigid mounted similar to XCCR and others to frame versus velcro straps
- Stand is pretty much needed, not included
- There are drains for the counterlungs, they should have a pump action to clear out the drool -- not squeezing CLs
- The exhale side of the loop can bop the CL dump, annoying (BMCL version wouldn't have this issue)
- O2 injection is slow. Can be hacked to make it faster. Safety thing in case of stuck inflator I'm sure.
- Afraid of plastic threaded CL screw down points. Cross threading and the like.
- Would be cool if o2 sensors all mounted on one removable assembly similar to XCCR?

Shearwater electronics are Shearwater. Sexy screens. Love the rectangle block. Great support. NERD2 price point too high. The handset doesn't beep or vibrate if in critical state (would this have saved a lot of lives on other units?)

Also, it was kind of a mystery on how the electronics worked -- I had to dissemble it myself since I wasn't supposed to be concerned with how it's engineered. I posted pics in a different thread on here. That annoys me but easy fix.

Originally I was looking at the SF2 but for many reasons became uninterested. Then it was between a Meg and the JJ, but then the Fathom came out and it had everything I liked about the meg, with some pluses. I didn't know anything about the history on the Meg.

All navy CCRs and double hose regs breath right to left. Leon was a navy diver so it follows that tradition similar to the mk15 he trained on. Not exactly sure their standards, but know they also use pure helium dil sometimes, so the O2 on the inhale loop was one way they addressed those risks. Although not positive this was a conscious design choice based on the dil choice - the actual design rationale of those units has been mostly lost to time if it were public knowledge at all.

Above are some of the preeminent CCR divers active on the board. I’ll add a few 0.02, with caveat that the three units you’ve listed are kind of different animals. Finding a used unit and diving the hell out of it is one path. The other is acknowledging what those around you are diving. I’m keen on a Fathom but I don’t know that there’s anyone in the Midwest with one. Meanwhile there’s a huge KISS community scattered within a two hour drive.

Sidewinder:
I fit four regs, full rebreather, electronics, and can light/heat battery in my carry-on Pelican + backpack. Checked bag is exposure suit, fins, harness, reels. In a bind, I can clip it onto a set of rented doubles/plate/wing. Downsides, it’s not a great cold water rig (in most applications and without modification). RJack hit nail on the head as always.

I don’t have any time on chest mount units but the Triton does share the portability. If you’re in the states and hellbent on a chest unit, the ChO2ptima is probably easier to get trained on but is pretty long with the way the lungs are positioned+O2 bottle horizontal below the unit. Seems to be more of a problem if you’re sub 5’8.

I flew my sidewinder to Sweden for some mine dives and to dive Plura. If I had tried to bring my Meg my bags would have easily been 10Kg heavier and I probably would have required a whole extra checked bag too. The weight is a huge plus for sump dives with dry carries as well. In retrospect the triton would be even better for sumps because its a far more cohesive package to slip in a cave bag and carry over dry sections. Hiking the sidewinder through dry cave is risky and there's a lot of stuff to snag on rocks.

I was super happy with sidewinder even in 3C water. But being a sidemount CCR with a near cult following and heavily promoted bugs me. The winder definitely has some negatives.

Next time I dive it I will try to get some geared up pics in mine. I look like a Christmas tree with the O2 on my butt, light can and scrubber heat on my butt, 16lbs of lead on my back, 1L carbon fiber suit gas bottle on my left hip and a 15ah suit heater on my right hip. I am fairly clean with LP45s, but larger cylinders get bulky fast and are harder to keep in trim so they don't push the scrubber canisters around once you add trimix.

All navy CCRs and double hose regs breath right to left. Leon was a navy diver so it follows that tradition similar to the mk15 he trained on. Not exactly sure their standards, but know they also use pure helium dil sometimes, so the O2 on the inhale loop was one way they addressed those risks. Although not positive this was a conscious design choice based on the dil choice - the actual design rationale of those units has been mostly lost to time if it were public knowledge at all.

You're going to get your ass kicked by Leon for calling him Navy.

The placement and design of the ADV was (and still is) the fastest access to a known breathable mix is through the ADV using open loop breathing. It is an essential part of the meg teaching curriculum.

You're going to get your ass kicked by Leon for calling him Navy.

The placement and design of the ADV was (and still is) the fastest access to a known breathable mix is through the ADV using open loop breathing. It is an essential part of the meg teaching curriculum.
DOD lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom