What do you fill your Azimuth with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJO

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Unlike the Dolphin you can use both tanks on the Azimuth as SCR. What do you fill your Azimuth tanks with? Different EAN and switch manually depending on depth? One Nitrox and one as bailout with air?

The Azimuth is ment to be used with EANx mixes between 32 and 50 % Oxygen. Ideally EAN32, 40, or 50. Due to the dosing group, you can use any mix in between, too. Both cylinders are supposed to be filled with the same mix, as they both can be used in SCR mode, but there is only one dosing adjustment. If you look at the Azimuth AF, it has two of the dosing-& switchblocks. This unit can be used with different gases, was designed for use with Nitrox and Trimix. If you fill the second cylinder with air you want to make sure to use it for OC bailout only. But that be defying the purpose of a good design, aside from the obvious advantages of Nitrox over air.

Actually, the Azimuth is made to be used with 32-60% and the way that I was taught was to either fill both with the same or use one for your bottom gas and one for your travel/deco gas

... so the breathing hoses don't fall off.
Fringe benefit: Getting narked during bre-breathing! :D

Don't know about the rest of you guys, but I do my best to fill my cylinders with empty when I'm diving. No matter RB or OC, otherwise, what's the point? :)

... Tekdiver: On OC empty works well in the tanks, but on an RB you want empty in the srubber. Lowers the breathing resistance. :D

You need to be very aware of the operation of the dosing block since it doesn't operate as you would think... It is only a concern when you you two different gas mixes. The switch block only shuts off ONE of the cylinders and leaves the other flowing. So, if you use 2 mixes you'll need to physically shut off the cylinder (typically the lower one) when you shift to the second cylinder. Also be make sure the LP hose routing is functional if you shut down the lower cylinder. It used to be routed to the bailout reg (or BCD) redering it useless if you shutdown the cylinder...

Thanks for the read.

Azumith training from entry to advanced is available thru our store at SSA-Riverside. Check out www.ssa-riverside.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom