What do you do with your old dSLR housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drpepper

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect the general answer to this will be: "sell them".

I have tried this, for 60% of the original price, with no success. I presume the reason for this is that, while the housing is relatively young, the camera is now old (a D90), and anyone looking to invest in a new system will be wanting a housing for the latest camera model. As I'm reluctant to change my UW photo system very often due to the expense, I can see myself coming up against the same problem in a few years' time.

How do people get around this situation? Do you all sell your old dSLR housings at bargain basement price to get rid of them, or upgrade camera system frequently while the resale price is still reasonable? There's very few used housings on eBay - is there a better place to advertise them?

Grateful for any advice.

I keep using what I have until it no longer meets my needs, or can no longer be kept running.

Newer is quite often not any better - just more expensive . . .

And 60% of new price for pretty well used is insane to me . . . no wonder you didn't have any takers!

- Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim.

Just to clarify with regard to the price, the housing is lightly used, and just over a year old. Hence my hope of selling at that price.

Interested to know what you think a reasonable price (i.e. % of new) would be for a housing in this condition (it's an Aquatica AD90, dual bulkhead)?

Um, I have a D90 and been looking into getting a housing, used.

Never saw you post one here for sale...I remember reading your "complaint" posts back in December, a TTL problem. I too spoke with Jean once, but buying Aquatica was out of my price barrier.

FWIW, one good way to sell UW housings, is to include the camera and all accessories, so the person buys a "kit".

Then you go and (upgrade) buy a D7000 (if you can find one) or the D400.

PM sent asking for a price. I recently bought two "beginner" kits, Oly SP350's, leaving to Grand Cayman in 2 weeks, wanted something. I'll be using my D90 "topside".

Thanks Mark - good thought about selling it as a complete kit, and I can see that might be more attractive to buyers. However, I was aiming to keep my ports and lens gears as I'll probably buy another Aquatica, and I also wanted to hang onto the D90 for topside use!

I'm in no real rush to sell the housing - it works like a charm (strobe issued resolved itself), and I think the D7000 has a successor coming this year anyway...

I have 4 housings and basically only use 1 1/4 !

Never sold my old Film camera housings (Tussey+F3, Aquatica+F801) and I sometimes use my D70 in a Sea&Sea housing, sort of kept hanging on to that one in case my daughter decides to use it.

My main camera now is a D300 in a Sea&Sea housing, and of course various ports to accommodate 60/85/105 micro lenses and a mini dome for the Tokina 10-17 and Nikkor 10.5.

Half thinking of buying another housing for the D300s which I use for land photography and sell the D70 while I can. I guess my film cameras an housings will end up in my personal museum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom