What dive marker do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNScuba

Reaction score
I was looking at getting one of the tube style markers with the flag on top of that. Looks like the way to go because you can store some items in the tube. I have heard the 'pole type' are easy to pull down and therefore not recommended. My LDS says the tube syle are around $90... seems a little steep for an innertube with a flag attached to it.

Any other suggestions, places to try, etc.?

Murdock,

I got the "inner-Tube" model with flag. It has a compartment in the center for either a light to illuminate thewhole thing at night or to store some small items you dont want to bring down with you. I bought it from Leisurepro.com when I visited their store. I've inflated it an set it up on dry land and so far it appears to be very durrable. I'm pretty sure I paid 29.99 for it.

You should try to find it on their website leisurepro.com. It is under "Emergency And Signal Devices / Emergency And Signal Devices Inflatable Float Flag"

They have the pole float and flag there also for 12.95. And you can buy something to plug the hole in the inner tube compartment to make it watertight but that part costs 36 dollars.

Hope this helped

ST

I just got a cheap flag with the styrofoam float and the little lead weight on the bottom. Works fine but if you dont' let out enough line you can pull it under pretty easily. The big tube type would be better if you want to spend the money.

SpyderTek,
Sounds exactly like what I am looking for. Do you remember which one you bought? They don't seem to have pictures of any of them...

Nevermind... I forgot I have the print catalog here. Looks like maybe you got the one that is a yellow tube with "Diver Below" written on it? $29.95

I think I'll go order one...

Thanks all!

Home made. Fiber glass fishing arrow stuck in a 8" foam archery target core with lead weight at the bottom. Redneck engineering at its finest. Oh and the trident flag with the wire stand-up on it.

Yup, that is the exact one I bought Murdoc. As for pictures on Leisurepro.com; you have to click on the little key picture next to the price to be brough the the item description and picture screen.

Glad I could help.

Swamp Rat....Great work! I've been looknig more and more into home made scuba items. So far I've managed to make my own weights. Any other suggestions on home made stuff?

ST

Glad you mentioned it... what did you use? I've been thinking about doing that as well, can't be too difficult. Thought about using BB's for fill. Tell me all about it!

You guys are missing one point though --

weights are cheap.

There's not much incentive to make your own, because the store-bought ones are better, and only marginally more expensive than DIY.

- Warren

The price for soft weighs around here is $12 for a single 3 pound pouch. So that isn't exactly cheap. You can find them for uc less than that on the internet...but then you are paying shipping and handling and after all your shipping WEIGHT so it costs more to ship than the item itself.

I bought 1 square yard of 100% nylon fabric for $5.99, 1 spool of Upholstery Thread for $1.25, Sewing needle for $0.99 and 25 pounds of #7.5 lead shotgun shot for $15.99. So total expendature of about $25 dollars after tax.

I made 2x5lbs, 2x3lbs, 2x2lbs, 5x1lbs weights for 25$
OR
I could have bout 2x3lbs weights at the store for the same price.

PLUSE you get the added bonouses of satisfaction from something you made yourself and a time killer while siting around the house all day every day while doing nothing so it is SOMETHING at least a little associated with SCUBA :)

Sewingly,

SpyderTek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom