What cylinders work as slung stages / bailouts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m in the position of being on the verge of wanting to extend my dives a little, so I’m going to have to get a second set of regs and tweak my hose layouts a little.

I’m trying to work out the best thing to do, straight to twins? Get a stage/pony of an appropriate size to be used later?
When confronted with this specific scenario - wanting more gas to extend your bottom time - the best choice is to go to doubles.

In reality, while I can appreciate the issue of space, the need for a reasonable configuration really supersedes considerations of what you can 'sneak into' your living space. A set of double 80s is a good choice, probably better than a backmount single, with a pony bottle. Go ahead and move to doubles now, LEARN TO USE THEM PROPERLY. and you will be well served.

Thanks for the input all, I’m in the position of being on the verge of wanting to extend my dives a little, so I’m going to have to get a second set of regs and tweak my hose layouts a little.

I’m trying to work out the best thing to do, straight to twins? Get a stage/pony of an appropriate size to be used later?

As a target point for what I’m looking at is doing dives in wrecks like the M2 and Kyarra, lying in approx. 30m for a decent amount of time, potentially building up to some minor deco in the future.

I’m limited on space, and what I can sneak into the flat without my girlfriend noticing, so I’m trying to make considered choices and ones I can justify (like I got a second set of regs for you when we go diving on holiday.....).

If you happen to have a BCD which can take two 12s then give that a go. Otherwise a proper twinset. Those dives give a runtime of a bit short of an hour with backgas deco of maybe 15 minutes on 32%. Taking 80% for deco saves maybe 7 or 8 minutes which I don’t think justifies the extra hassle and risk.

The SB way is to either deco is forbidden fruit or you do accelerated deco. The U.K. way is to everyone starts with backgas deco and few people bother with accelerated deco. A twinset of 32 gets you a lot of diving.

Bottom time on the Kyarra is limited as you have to hit it on slack tide otherwise it tends to rip through pretty hard. I've seen the skipper on one dive tear a couple of guys a new one for overstaying their welcome :).

Yeah I’ve been out with Divers Down, lift an absolute revelation! I can understand a good reaming for that. Time limits on tides in the channel are super important. When I was racing a couple of weeks ago boats in about a 500nm2 area were being asked to look for a missing guy.

That j100 would have been a great little boat to do some shorthanded beer can and short distance races with.
FML :(

You should have gone for it! “But the J/100 is a faster boat so we’ll be able to explore more!”

My parents bought our 109 intending to do a little racing and a load of cruising, since then we’ve done 3 full RORC offshore seasons, two Fastnets and gone cruising once. And dad’s ended up in the class association. Dad’s taking voluntary redundancy though so I think they’re planning on a cruise to Ireland.

A set of double 80s is a good choice, probably better than a backmount single, with a pony bottle. Go ahead and move to doubles now, LEARN TO USE THEM PROPERLY. and you will be well served.

I started thinking slinging as that’s what I’d done with a pony during depth progression. But I have to admit I have twinset kit sitting in a shopping cart staring at me. I’m thinking twin 12s or if a good set come up 300b 8s (my local shop does good 300b fills).

If you happen to have a BCD which can take two 12s then give that a go. Otherwise a proper twinset. Those dives give a runtime of a bit short of an hour with backgas deco of maybe 15 minutes on 32%. Taking 80% for deco saves maybe 7 or 8 minutes which I don’t think justifies the extra hassle and risk.

The SB way is to either deco is forbidden fruit or you do accelerated deco. The U.K. way is to everyone starts with backgas deco and few people bother with accelerated deco. A twinset of 32 gets you a lot of diving.

I’ve got a single wing already so I’m just expanding the kit really. The guy who did my OD/SD/DL dived BPW so that’s what I ended up with.

Yeah, I posted about doing depth progression on reddit and I got shocked responses about staying at depth until we got some light deco. This was post SD so at that point you’re deco qualified.

Yeah I’ve been out with Divers Down, lift an absolute revelation! I can understand a good reaming for that. Time limits on tides in the channel are super important. When I was racing a couple of weeks ago boats in about a 500nm2 area were being asked to look for a missing guy.

You should have gone for it! “But the J/100 is a faster boat so we’ll be able to explore more!”

My parents bought our 109 intending to do a little racing and a load of cruising, since then we’ve done 3 full RORC offshore seasons, two Fastnets and gone cruising once. And dad’s ended up in the class association. Dad’s taking voluntary redundancy though so I think they’re planning on a cruise to Ireland.

I started thinking slinging as that’s what I’d done with a pony during depth progression. But I have to admit I have twinset kit sitting in a shopping cart staring at me. I’m thinking twin 12s or if a good set come up 300b 8s (my local shop does good 300b fills).

I’ve got a single wing already so I’m just expanding the kit really. The guy who did my OD/SD/DL dived BPW so that’s what I ended up with.

Yeah, I posted about doing depth progression on reddit and I got shocked responses about staying at depth until we got some light deco. This was post SD so at that point you’re deco qualified.

Twin 12s are much more common and likely useful than twin 300 bar 8s. I don’t need lead in freshwater with Euro 12s, i’d expect to be quite negative with 300 bar 8s.

Many internet places are very US centric and have no idea what a BSAC SD is. They are also generally brought up with PADI and believe that deco is evil or magic depending on training era.

Some configurations end up as sweet spots. I think twin 12s are such a thing.

I may have accidentally acquired a set of Faber twin 12s, no idea how that happened, just appeared in my car somehow. Now to get the order in for the new wing and reg, no idea how those'll arrive either, magic?

9TAu8kv.jpg

I may have accidentally acquired a set of Faber twin 12s, no idea how that happened, just appeared in my car somehow. Now to get the order in for the new wing and reg, no idea how those'll arrive either, magic?

View attachment 537876
Remember it's VERY important, to keep these cylinders in a well lit area well away from other cylinders. Failure to do so, my mean the replicate (That's the excuse I give, anyway)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom