What compressor can I get under $4k?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to upgrade my kiddie (other post) to a system I can fill 4 tanks at once and possibly use banks. I am sick of working on my kiddie all the time due to the age and I have frankly out grown it. I need to fill in my basement so need that option. Thoughts?

Sorry, I think you are looking for a unicorn, or will have to trust someone’s guarantee on a used rebuilt compressor. Bauer Oceanus I think will do what you are asking for $6k new.

You can absolutely get a unit for under $4000. Any quality Bauer like a mariner, capitano, or especially a k14. You can get a decent k14 for $2500. You just got to wait. I found a k14 from a paintball field for $800. Brought it to my compressor guy and about $3000 later it’s a thing of beauty in almost brand new shape. I say avoid coltris as their hit or miss. So are airtex. Anything Bauer or mako will be good

Anything Bauer or mako will be good

Actually not true that any Bauer will work for his purpose. The Bauer junior isn’t rated for continuous use filling a bank which is what he asked about. Most of the other Bauer’s are though, such as the ones you named. I have a Utilus 10 from Bauer, also not rated for continuous use. I looked for a year without luck before finding mine.

Have no doubt there are easily found "things of beauty" for sale in Florida and easy access to a "compressor guy". Could be true in other coastal diving hotspots as well for that matter. I question if the same is true for the OP in Ohio. Buying a used compressor of this size sight unseen from out of state may not be the slam dunk either.

Actually not true that any Bauer will work for his purpose. The Bauer junior isn’t rated for continuous use filling a bank which is what he asked about. Most of the other Bauer’s are though, such as the ones you named. I have a Utilus 10 from Bauer, also not rated for continuous use. I looked for a year without luck before finding mine.

Have no doubt there are easily found "things of beauty" for sale in Florida and easy access to a "compressor guy". Could be true in other coastal diving hotspots as well for that matter. I question if the same is true for the OP in Ohio. Buying a used compressor of this size sight unseen from out of state may not be the slam dunk either.

I was making the assumption that the op could figure out which models would work for his needs. I was generalizing that it’s hard to go wrong with the Bauer or mako brands. Negative to mako is more expensive parts very often.
As for finding a unit, sometimes you got a drive through a few states to get one. I have quite a few friends from Ohio who live in Florida and go back and forth all the time. It’s not a tough drive.

Sorry, I think you are looking for a unicorn, or will have to trust someone’s guarantee on a used rebuilt compressor. Bauer Oceanus I think will do what you are asking for $6k new.
How? If $6k for a new one? My buddy got one k. Ebay for $3500 guess I’ll have e to wait lol

Skip it. You can get better quality for the same price. Don't jump on the first unit in your price range. My understanding is the Poseidon's can be hard or expensive to get parts for. Don't have personal experience though

Back
Top Bottom