What components of my camera gear setup for Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I posted this in the Galapagos forum but wasn't getting traction, so I will try it here. I was wondering with the kind of marine life expected in Galapagos, what kind of UW camera gear should I bringing or need to have. I have a old Oly C5050 w/WA wet lens an external strobe.

Is there macro life to take pix of? I am wondering cuz that would determine whether I take down the wet lens. I tried macro shots with wet lens and found subject too small, thus having to either get real close (not possible all the time) or zoom in. Zooming in caused the off centered part to be out of focus, so I can't do that too much. The screw on wet lens is a PITA to take off and hold for super macro shots. Reg lens is 35mm at the widest, and with wet lens, it is like 20mm. Not sure if 35mm is wide enough for the kind of big fish that comes around. With visibility of maybe 40ft, not sure what to expect. Don't want to carry so much things and constantly fiddling around with them and the drift off in the current.

Also, the camera is 5mp, which is fine, but its video is VHS quality (320x240), is video shots a must have? I don't do edit my clips into a movie with music backgrounds, but instead just have 30 sec to 2 min video clips of whatever I encounter that I think could be represented better with moving visuals. In 240p mode, what you see is like proof that I saw such thing, but nothing more.

You will have a great time, really a must do destination. There is a Trip Report, Gallery and MultiMedia show at our site that hopefully will give an idea of what you will/can see. www.aquabluedreams.com

Not a ton of macro, like nudibranch but they are there. In some spots the currents can be substantial so task loading can be an issue. Really this is a large critter destination, whalesharks, schools of hammerheads, turtles, mantas, large schools of fish, etc.... That said my better half can always find some tiny creature to point out.

Video is a great option for this area as the motion is important and viz can be challenging. If you can WB your camera that will be a big help with the video. But in general, if your lucky, think WIDE!

Darwin & Wolf, I definitely will have it set up for far and wide. Although my current camera has video of 240p, so I might end up bringing 2 cameras down, the 2nd camera being a Panasonic ZS3 P&S with 25mm lens and 720p HD. 25mm might be acceptable for wide shots, but if not, I will fiddle around with both units. Playing around with 2 cameras, etc. Hope it is not too much. I guess with the with the 2nd camera, it will also allow me to go for the macro shots that might pop up once in a while w/o me having to fiddle around with the wet lens.

Is it too dark down there to shoot the videos with natural light? I've seen many shots of schools of hammerheads swimming. Are those shot with super wide lens? It looks like the distant fish could be 100 ft away, but from description of visibility, that seems to be impossible.

In general, how close are those large fish swimming? Close enough to be lit by a external strobe?

First, I would suggest for a dive in this area just take one camera down and commit to getting one style/type of shot. As to how close the sharks come depends on soooooo many factors it is hard to make sweeping generalizations. Factors: mother nature, how you position yourself, can you calm your breathing as the hammerheads don't like your bubbles, and just plain dumb luck. We were there two weeks, one week we saw 4 whale sharks on one dive, following week 1 whale shark total and the other group did not see any. So now for the sweeping generalizations. Galapagos sharks would often come within 7-10ft, if you are looking in the right direction. Individual hammerheads would do the same if you are willing regulate your breathing and get in a good spot. The front of the edge of the schools are typically 10-15 away and fade into the distance. Yes individual sharks/rays will come within strobe distance. Not too dark to shoot video, depending on camera, but if you can set it to manual focus or set the infinity focus feature can be a good way to go.

Other areas there are more medium to small creatures to shoot but be aware a Manta Ray or Sea Lion will probably make and appearance.

Disclaimer: Mother Nature is in charge so everything noted above is worth what you are paying for this information, lol.

First, I would suggest for a dive in this area just take one camera down and commit to getting one style/type of shot.

I am hoping I don't do that, otherwise I would not get good video or photograph. Maybe I will practice handling both during the early checkout dive. I was hoping to get a 2nd arm to mount the P&S camera onto the arm, otherwise it will just dangle on my wrist or BC until needed.

Very rare they are close enough to be lighted up by strobes in Wolf and Darwin.
In my experience, cleaning stations in Roca Redonda is better for close encounter with Sharks.

Given that strobe might be useless on those big fish dives, and I am not able to handle both cameras properly, maybe I will leave the photo camera set on land and just bring the P&S for photo and video, since it has a UW mode that corrects for WB (or I can use WB correction in reg mode). I could even move the strobe onto that camera. But since the P&S has a 25mm lens and my main camera has a 20mm wet lens. I think bringing both will still be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom