What Causes of DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Carcharodon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have there been studies that define the detailed mechanisms that cause DCS? It seems that there have been a number of threads lately about symptoms showing up some time after dives. The posters have been concerned that symptoms they have may be DCS. It seems many people do not have a clear understanding of the underlying mechanisms. But then does anyone have a clear understanding?

I have assumed that the mechanisms are hypoxia which results from reduced perfusion due to the presence of bubbles. Also I assume there is the potential for trauma due to intracellular and extracellular bubble formation. But are bubbles the whole story? What has been done experimentally to validate the mechanisms?

Most Navies all over the world are conducting research regarding this and other diving related topics. In the US, the Navy Experimental Diving Unit (NEDU) in Panama City is leading the way. You can find unclassified information on their website at:

Navy Experimental Diving Unit

Hello Readers:

DCS Research

Much is known about decompression sickness, but there is also much ignorance. Yes. People ask about DCS appearing long after the gas phase would have left the tissues and with no signs or symptoms in the intervening period. Amazing!

More people could profit from reading this FORUM, but you can see the readership ("views") is very often minimal. It does not encourage one to write complete and “newsy” replies that often require considerable time. Somedays I am overly pessimistic. :shakehead:

Maybe someday I will put my knowledge in a book.:)

What Causes DCS?

DCS is really a general term and involves problems resulting from gas in the body’s tissues or circulatory system. It will cause different problems depending on where it is. Arterial bubbles in the brain result in, e.g., paralysis. Bubbles in tendons and ligaments are the [suspected] cause of the pain of “the bends.”

Bubbles residing [= stuck] in the capillaries can result in fluid loss [edema = swelling] that is difficult to resolve with hyperbaric treatment.

Sadly, not much research is being done in laboratories regarding the cause of decompression sickness, and very little is being performed in the past two decades in the United States. That is one reason, of several, that I left NASA when I reached retirement age. Much of the information I use comes from articles by biomedical engineers, not barophysiologists. :(

Dr Deco :doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom