What caused my rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bfi

Registered
Reaction score
So the wife and I tried a shore dive from Indian Rocks Beach in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida. We were in about 20 ft if water and literally had under a foot of vis. In positioning myself to get ready to move towards the surface my knee came in contact with the bottom. All the sudden I had an intense burning that persisted for the rest of the day yesterday. Today there are patchy red bumps that are pretty itchy. It’s all well and good but was just curious what I may have bumped into. It’s not unbearable or spreading or anything of that nature but was just curious if any of you had any guesses what it might have been. Thanks!

My guess is an urchin.

Maybe Fire Coral.

Fire Coral – Stinging Cells

This coral has finger-like branches or flat blades that can be mustard-color, tan or brown with white tips. Contact with bare skin causes a burning pain and red rash within 5-30 minutes. The stinging cells stick to skin and must be removed.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseas...-and-waterborne-disease/_documents/stings.pdf

Im pretty sure that my arm bumped into some during a safety stop in the Keys (my arm brushed against the mooring line). Same as described above...localized burning and a small red rash. The burning didn’t last long, but the red bumps didn’t go away for a while.

You didn't ask, but I'll advise to always cover everything up diving. Especially in tropical/semi tropical waters. Sometimes my legs are bare, but up here that only means a scrape from a rock (unless jellies are around, which is rare).

You didn't ask, but I'll advise to always cover everything up diving. Especially in tropical/semi tropical waters. Sometimes my legs are bare, but up here that only means a scrape from a rock (unless jellies are around, which is rare).

True. Would have prevented my itching today most likely

Put some hydro cortisone cream on it and be more careful.

Claritin is a savior when it comes to itching...the over the counter one, not D.

So the wife and I tried a shore dive from Indian Rocks Beach in the Tampa Bay Area of Florida. We were in about 20 ft if water and literally had under a foot of vis. In positioning myself to get ready to move towards the surface my knee came in contact with the bottom. All the sudden I had an intense burning that persisted for the rest of the day yesterday. Today there are patchy red bumps that are pretty itchy. It’s all well and good but was just curious what I may have bumped into. It’s not unbearable or spreading or anything of that nature but was just curious if any of you had any guesses what it might have been. Thanks!
Fire coral. Closely related to hydroids. You'll get a burning, itching raised rash wherever you bump into them. Topical steroidal creams might help, but they can also prolong the healing. As mentioned, white vinegar helps, as does soaking in hot water. The most important thing is to wash the area properly and keep an eye on it to make sure it heals properly. They usually do, but sometimes they can lead to secondary infection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom