What can I do better next time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need some tips. Took this pic on a divesite called the canyons on my home province in the PI. Condition was sunny and viz was about 50+ feet. Cam setting was f 5.6 and 1/60. No flash.

IMG_1635.JPG

This one is also from the same dive site. f 3.2 and 1/60. No flash.

IMG_1655.JPG

I appreciate any tips as I'd like to visit the place again this coming december hopefully to take better pics.

Well....I might have tried to get right down on the bottom close to the rocks you see on the 2nd picture and shoot up through the opening from closer by. That would make the crack look bigger than it is. Also, it makes a good background but if you moved the crack to the left of the frame a bit and put in a diver with a light on the right then you'd have some action a "story" and separation of foreground and background.

R..

What you need is an underwater tripod and a real nice 5 - 10 second open shutter. Great pics though!

-V

Good tip. I think that the potential is there with a diver in the story.

It would also be helpful to know what you are going for...the majesty of the towering walls with the blue escape? Detail on the walls? Sun rays streaming down?

alcina:
Good tip. I think that the potential is there with a diver in the story.

It would also be helpful to know what you are going for...the majesty of the towering walls with the blue escape? Detail on the walls? Sun rays streaming down?
Actually, I would like to display the majesty of the wall and the light streaming down. I know I needed a diver for the first aspect but I just couldn't shoot my buddy at the right spot.

I prefer the 2nd midwest, it is a bit puzzling me to the settings that you posted.

Because (i'm assuming that the pics were taken in the same place) the second pic has a larger lens aperture so more light should be coming into the camera and onto the pic.
And yet the 2nd pic looks darker than first..

I think if you get the chance to do that site again, i'd try to capture the sunrays streaming down through the crack and perhaps take another shot with the diver in the background.

What lens (or focal length) were you using? If you go to a wider lens, you might get a bit more detail in the light zone (moving in closer to keep the same perspective) as well as maybe a bit more colour to the light. Nice shots, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom