What Camera to Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lrurich

Reaction score
I'm getting into underwater photography. Being a beginner, I want a good camera, am willing to spend up to $600, but would prefer something in $400 to $600 range. (not including housing). Do I really need 5 megapixals, or will 4 do? What brand should I consider, it seems like most people use Canon or Olympus? Finally, do I need more than 3x zoom? Or if you're using the 10x zoom, you're not close enough for the picture to come out well considering the lighting, so it's discouraged. Any help from a seasoned photographer would be much appreciated!

lrurich:
I'm getting into underwater photography. Being a beginner, I want a good camera, am willing to spend up to $600, but would prefer something in $400 to $600 range. (not including housing). Do I really need 5 megapixals, or will 4 do? What brand should I consider, it seems like most people use Canon or Olympus? Finally, do I need more than 3x zoom? Or if you're using the 10x zoom, you're not close enough for the picture to come out well considering the lighting, so it's discouraged. Any help from a seasoned photographer would be much appreciated!

My very unboased vote (hee hee) is for the Olympus C5050. Here's the scoop:

1) Kickin' cam for the $$. No better value right now - both on land and in the water. You can pick one up off of eBay for $400 - $450.

2) Cheap housing. For your $600 you can get the cam AND the Oly housing, and still have some $$ to upgrade from that limp 32 meg XD wafer that comes with it.

3) Support - many, many of us here on this board use the Olympus C5050. If you ever have questions, post it, and one of us will get back to you in minutes, or hours. THAT is reason enough... free online support for life.

4) As if you needed more reasons, its a very fast lens (great in the low light environments of UW), 8 programable "MyMode" settings make it simple to change everything from DOF to focal length to shutter speed, to Macro / Super Macro, etc... with the flick of a button. Its small enough so you'll actually take it with you... I could go on and on.

Get the Oly.

K

Mo2vation:
My very unboased vote (hee hee) is for the Olympus C5050. Here's the scoop:

1) Kickin' cam for the $$. No better value right now - both on land and in the water. You can pick one up off of eBay for $400 - $450.

2) Cheap housing. For your $600 you can get the cam AND the Oly housing, and still have some $$ to upgrade from that limp 32 meg XD wafer that comes with it.

3) Support - many, many of us here on this board use the Olympus C5050. If you ever have questions, post it, and one of us will get back to you in minutes, or hours. THAT is reason enough... free online support for life.

4) As if you needed more reasons, its a very fast lens (great in the low light environments of UW), 8 programable "MyMode" settings make it simple to change everything from DOF to focal length to shutter speed, to Macro / Super Macro, etc... with the flick of a button. Its small enough so you'll actually take it with you... I could go on and on.

Get the Oly.

K

Thanks so much! I was leaning towards Olympus. Always used Canon film cameras in the past. I loved my first camera, but am very unhappy with the quality of the photos with my current Canon. I think it's time for a change.

lrurich:
Thanks so much! I was leaning towards Olympus. Always used Canon film cameras in the past. I loved my first camera, but am very unhappy with the quality of the photos with my current Canon. I think it's time for a change.

My first few SLR's were Canon. Loved them. I've been shooting Oly digitals exclusively since 99 or so, and they've become very familiar and comfortable to me. Plus, the support from all the other smart people on this board will significantly shorten your learning curve. Be sure to visit our Scuba Board Oly forum, and download the links document some brilliant, kind and thoughtful guy created.

You won't go wrong with Oly.

Remember to buy insurance before you ever get it wet. And resist getting a zillion-gig card. Buy a couple of smaller (256 or 512's) so if something goes south you won't lose everything!

So much to learn. You're gonna have a blast.

K

I moved your post so it would get more attention.

Ken pretty much covered it, I agree with every reason he gave. Check out the sticky thread at the top of this page about buying your first U/W digital. There's more info there.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t55106.html

Dee:
I moved your post so it would get more attention.

Ken pretty much covered it, I agree with every reason he gave. Check out the sticky thread at the top of this page about buying your first U/W digital. There's more info there.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t55106.html

Thanks to everyone! Based on Ken's advice, I did an internet search. I was able to find the c5060 for $509 on JR.com. They're a reputable store in NY, and don't charge sales tax if you're from out of state. Quite a deal since the list price was $650. I had a hard time finding the C5050, the 5060 is its successor, and I think it's being phased-out. The PT020 is the housing.

Question - is the flash sufficient, or do you find that I'll need a strobe? The camera has a hot shoe and its own strobe and housing. If I decide to get the strobe, do you need to get this, or is there other strobes that attach to underwater housing?

Thanks so much for all of your advice, everyone!

Mo2vation:
My first few SLR's were Canon. Loved them. I've been shooting Oly digitals exclusively since 99 or so, and they've become very familiar and comfortable to me. Plus, the support from all the other smart people on this board will significantly shorten your learning curve. Be sure to visit our Scuba Board Oly forum, and download the links document some brilliant, kind and thoughtful guy created.

You won't go wrong with Oly.

Remember to buy insurance before you ever get it wet. And resist getting a zillion-gig card. Buy a couple of smaller (256 or 512's) so if something goes south you won't lose everything!

So much to learn. You're gonna have a blast.

K

Stupid question, but where do I get insurance? Recommendations? Thanks.

For the record the 5060 doesn't have the same lens as the 5050 - it's not as 'bright'. Maybe others will disagree but I would really try to find the 5050 if you can. That said - I'm sure the 5060 is a great camera too. However IMO the 5050 has the better lens.

I, too, would head for the 5050 if you can. If you can't, I am sure you will get great results with the 5060.

No, you don't need a strobe. The internal on the 5050 does an admirable job. A strobe is nice. A strobe is more than the camera and housing. You need to learn how to use the camera & housing before adding a strobe, IMHO.

Check out posts with my name for examples of non-strobe images. There are several others who do not use a strobe. Check out Gilligan's earlier posts - he recently added a strobe but got fantastic results without one.

I love my Canon A series, but I think if you are set on the Oly (which I also have) then go with the Oly!

Ooops, forgot about insurance. There are basically two leaders, I think...DAN and DEPP. I use DEPP but have not researched DAN at all. DEPP handled the two claims I have had very well. They replace/repair - they do not send you a check. Both are on the net...

I think you will find it easier to get a good photo with a strobe. I was not using the strobes and my pictures were mediocre at best. I am also not a skilled photographer, I'm sure that makes a big difference in the end results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom