******************* What camera to buy*******************

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an old canon sd550 which I want to upgrade, however I want a mid range camera only for underwater photos, great macro and video with 1080p! I'm been looking at canons g11, g12, gx1, s100 and sx40 which one should I get? I just want to get a camera that lets me do a lot from manual to auto. I'm thinking about the g12 but with the new canon gx1 coming out are the specs better then the g12? I'm still new at taking shots and want to progress so please have a heart don't bash me and let me know which would you recommend thanks

Seconded. That camera looks pretty amazing for what it is. There are certainly limits, but with a huge sensor and relatively fast and wide lens... You can't go wrong. One huge suggestion though, get a second battery. Only 200 shots per charge supposedly (based on the reviews), and if you want to do video it will burn through a battery in a dive.

BTW, be prepared to get a strobe, then the wide angle external lens. Oh and a wet macro lens. But after that you will certainly need to get.. etc etc. It never ends :wink:

I do highly recommend looking into a strobe, if you can afford it. Deeper than a shallow dive or on an overcast day you need something to get light on just about any subject you want to shoot and the stock flash is not going to do that for you. Nowhere near enough power.

The Canon G1X has a sensor that is comparable in size to the sensor of a DSLR. This means the camera should perform pretty well on high ISO, noise and in diffraction issues.

The thing is that underwater photography is complex. You really need a strobe and better yet 2. The reason you need strobes is because the water column absorbs the longer wave lengths of light. Below 15', there are no reds unless you supply the light. Farther down oranges, and yellows disappear. At about 70', the world is blue or green. Another advantage of strobes is they tend to reduce the apparent sediment in the water if they are mounted out to the sides.

You can use the Canon housing, but I understand that the housing does not take wet lenses. The Ikelite housing takes macro lenses but not really good wide angle lenses. You want wide angle lenses so you can get up close. The closer your shot the better it will be because there will be less water between you and the subject.

The camera will do you a good job except you will have to be in live few for focusing and composition and that will give you shutter lag. It makes taking photos of small fast moving fish challenging.

Now, a top end housing package with camera and strobes will not be cheap or anything approaching cheap. Be prepared for sticker shock.

Back
Top Bottom