What are your thoughts on the following?

The SL17C Helmet

• Excellent

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Good

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Ok...So-So

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Not-Reommended

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Avoid

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott T C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am wondering what y'all in the field think about the SL17C Helmet by Kirby Morgan?

I was reading online and that sounds like a nice helmet for me to obtain eventually. I really like that it is light weight and has the three mounting brackets for two lights and a video camera or what ever else is needed up there.

Last edited:
The problem is the more hats I dive the less satisfied I become with any one of them. There are pieces of each that I like and plenty I hate, at least for a certain set of conditions. There are always advantages by staying with the market leader like KMC though, especially in such a small market. It will be interesting to see if anything happens (good or bad) to Gorski now that Aqualung owns them. It didn’t work out too well when they bought Kirby Morgan in the early 1970s.

I guess that's true with a lot of dive gear. We buy things that we like then as we use them we disect them and point out what we dislike. :D

The 17C is a hat that they primarily sell to divex for conversion to a saturation diving helmet fitted with a reclaim system. What kind of diving are you doing?

Not used the 17C but have used the 17B, and I would say that its good, but why do you want to buy one ? Your company should provide you with one.

04082011780.jpg

These are pretty popular amongst most saturation and air divers here in India. As DGordon pointed out, they are easily modified to close the circuit for He retrieval.

Last edited:
After 29 years of commercial diving, I don't rate helmets anymore there all pretty good theses days its the uneducated and unskilled idiots getting jobs as tenders and panel technicians that concern me.

DT speaks the truth

Attachments

• SuperlyteB.jpg
    SuperlyteB.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 261
Not used the 17C but have used the 17B, and I would say that its good, but why do you want to buy one ? Your company should provide you with one.

It's customary in the United States for a commercial diver to have their own helmet, harness, bail out cylinder, wet suit, dry suit, gloves, boots, fins and miscilanious tool box. Companies pay rental on the personnal equipment when used for work.

Some, but not all companies will have some hats for the employees to used. These are not always in very good condition or repair.

Companies in the United States don't "Nanny" their employees like companies in HSE regulated countries do. You should think globally before you start making statements about equipment, procedures and policy.

BH: I want my own gear because I know how it is maintained. I do not want to place my welfare in the gear of a company incase their maintenance isn't as current as it should be. Also, I want the suit configured my way so it suits my personal needs, etc. :)

DT: "idiots" tending...don't you have to be trained to do that? Even after I attend the CDA I know I will be expected to tend for a while before getting to do the diving and build dive time. So, are you insinuating that I too would be one of these "idiots"?

Muddiver:
It's customary in the United States for a commercial diver to have their own helmet, harness, bail out cylinder, wet suit, dry suit, gloves, boots, fins and miscilanious tool box. Companies pay rental on the personnal equipment when used for work.

You are right. One of the instructors at our local dive school is an ex-hard hat diver and he states the same thing that I need to keep my eyes peeled for a used 40 or 50 for the BO and to get my other gear as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom