What are your favorite type of dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12th Man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Curious, what are everyone's favorite type of dives?

My first favorite is diving with sharks. I have a healthy respect for these amazing and incredible animals but I love being in the water with them. I've dove with Tigers, Bulls, Hammerheads, Silkys, White Tips, Lemons, Nurse sharks to name a few. I've never seen a great white but I would love to. Sometimes we see them sometimes we don't and that's ok.

My next favorite is a nice wall dive with tons of coral and marine life. It's great seeing sea turtles, big groupers, eels and other sea creatures.

Actually most anytime I'm under the surface is a great dive. As I tell my wife, I'll keep diving until I find Ariel the mermaid. Glad she dives and helps me look for her.

So far, wall dives with sharks is #1 - especially if it's a drift dive because I can be lazy.
Followed by that is no-shark wall dives (with tons of other marine life, turtles, fish, coral, etc) - there is just something amazing about walls that drop down seemingly forever and being positioned between the teeming life on the wall on one side and the vast open blue on the other.
After that, I'd say wrecks (though this could easily take the #2 spot as I gain experience) - there is something fascinating, intriguing, and eerie about exploring spaces created and used by other humans and that effect is increased by doing it in a way not previously done by those people. I really like urban exploration on the surface and the added impact of doing it underwater is amazing because you get to move through those spaces in a way the original habitants never did. You can visualize the people who used the space, but you see it simultaneously in a totally different way.

Honorable mention: Night Diving - especially areas you are familiar with diving during the day. Things are so different at night and the sea life behaves very differently.

Tough one. My favorite dive was a shark fed dive with Emerald Charters out of Jupiter, Florida, where a tiger shark nearly 10 feet long approached our group kneeling in the sand closely, turned and swam to my left, and was so close she accidentally tail-slapped me lightly.

I don't think I'll top that.

My favorite 'type' of diving is solo diving. But the best reef diving I've done, via live-aboards, was off Little Cayman and the outer atolls of Belize, and solo wasn't an option far as I know.

I'm not sure I have one favorite type of dive. What I'm after varies. Kelp forest diving won't have much coral, great viz. coral reef hasn't had as much big stuff, large animal diving wasn't done over as much lush coral and gorgonian growth, etc...

Richard.

Just about any dive where I get wet and blow bubbles.

I will never pass up a nice night dive in the tropics. If you have never night dove, you really should try it. The colours are more vibrant and you see critters you never see in the day time.

One night dive we all turned off our lights and were in a hover with no terms of reference. The plan was to wait 60 seconds then turn on our lights and see how well we maintained our position.

Lets just say we were all over the place.:snorkel:

Tough one. My favorite dive was a shark fed dive with Emerald Charters out of Jupiter, Florida, where a tiger shark nearly 10 feet long approached our group kneeling in the sand closely, turned and swam to my left, and was so close she accidentally tail-slapped me lightly.

I don't think I'll top that.

My favorite 'type' of diving is solo diving. But the best reef diving I've done, via live-aboards, was off Little Cayman and the outer atolls of Belize, and solo wasn't an option far as I know.

I'm not sure I have one favorite type of dive. What I'm after varies. Kelp forest diving won't have much coral, great viz. coral reef hasn't had as much big stuff, large animal diving wasn't done over as much lush coral and gorgonian growth, etc...

Richard.

Richard,

My son and I dive Calypso shark dive adventures out of Jupiter FL few times a year. We've never once sat on the bottom. All of our dives have been drift dives. We drop down to about 90' and ascend to 30 or 40' once the sharks start coming up. The tigers are usually the first to show up (if they show up at all) and first to leave. It's never a guarantee. We always see tons of Bulls, Silky's, Lemons to name a few and depending on the time of year Hammerheads. We're hoping to dive the Hammerhead migration in April. It's always hit and miss if we can go out because of the winds.

I did a night dive in Hawaii two years ago and we had Tigers moving in an out of the light. It was exhilarating and a bit hair raising to say the least. It was one of my most memorable dives. One day I'm hoping to see a GW!

I can't figure out how to post videos, I've got some great dives where we were surrounded by dozens of sharks.

So far it has been “treasure hunting” dives. Even just at the local dive quarry. Found a go pro, some weights, a few knives.

disclaimer... I’ve never dove in salt water.

Any dive where I can find good shells for the collection. Heading the list would be dives in tropical or subtropical conditions, where the variety is much greater than up north, and colours much brighter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom