What are these?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson

Koya Kap
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First time to see these critters...??:D

shell.jpg

Nudi_-_twin_rocks.jpg

When posting a "Name that Critter" query, if you will include the following information (or as much of it as you can) it'll help a great deal in figuring out what we have...
(1) How big is the critter?
(2) Where in the world is the critter?
(3) What sort of habitat (reef, wreck, sand, rubble etc) is the critter in?
(4) How deep is the critter?
(5) What time of day (or night) did you see the critter?
(6) Any observed behavior of the critter...
(7) Did the locals have a common name for the critter (what is it)?
Thanks,
Rick
PS, top one looks like a whelk of some sort.

As Rick said, all of those would be very helpful to confirm ids.

I'm guessing from your location that these are probably Indo-Pacific. That would make your first critter one of the big horse conchs, maybe Pleuroploca. The second is a lamellariid snail identified only as Coriocella sp. in Debelius but Coriocella nigra in Gosliner, Behrens, & Williams. Lamellarids are snails whose extended bodies completely cover the shell. If your images came from elsewhere then it's back to square one!

LeslieH:
As Rick said, all of those would be very helpful to confirm ids.

I'm guessing from your location that these are probably Indo-Pacific. That would make your first critter one of the big horse conchs, maybe Pleuroploca. The second is a lamellariid snail identified only as Coriocella sp. in Debelius but Coriocella nigra in Gosliner, Behrens, & Williams. Lamellarids are snails whose extended bodies completely cover the shell. If your images came from elsewhere then it's back to square one!
I took the pix in Anilao, Philippines.

Sorry Rick, I'll get in some more details next time I ask.

The first pic looks more like a Kelletia than a Pleuroploca. Or maybe not... where the ^&#*$ are my seashell books...

Back
Top Bottom