What are the "who knew"s of scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Howdy all,

I just finished reading something from the astronauts who went to the moon. It stuck with me for some reason: the moon's surface is slippery. Huh. Who knew?

I want to know what little surprises like that scuba had for you. For me, it was definitely that breathing with scuba dries your mouth out. Of all the things I expected from it, that was not one of them :p

So, who knew?

MIKE

I was shocked to see first hand the change of colors at depth:

Real quick. Scraped a coral was bleeding,blood was green. Took a bit, at first thinking it was algae from the coral till I kept rubbing it away it kept coming back. I'm an alien

I was surprised at how quickly the pressure builds up before clearing my ears. I usually need to do it at 10ft or so, if I didn't do it right off. Before my first dive I thought it would be at least 20-30 ft.

Then I was surprised at how easy it was to do it.

+ 1 to how hard it is to sink with so much weight. However, if you take off your fins and try to tread water, down you go.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

During my OW, I was surprised by the expanding air in your lungs during ascent. It makes perfect sense, but I never gave it a thought beforehand.

I was also surprised that weight had to be added to sink. The scuba unit alone feels like the concrete boots that used to get the job done in old mobster movies, lol.

There's also the thermocline. I always thought it was just something that's there. Not something that hits you like a freight train as soon as you hit a certain depth

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the pressure on your body feels pretty much the same whether you are 20' or 80' deep... as long as you equalize properly. I was also surprised at how simple it was to equalize my ears. Before I started to learn to dive, that was my biggest concern, rupturing my eardrums.

I was amazed to learn, here, that thermoclines can have reduced viz. I had never heard that. I knew haloclines did, but I still find it amazing that thermoclines do.

Narcosis - I, never seem to know I'm influenced by until I try to do something complicated, like focusing a camera.

---------- Post added ----------

Who knew there was such a thing as a $1,200 flashlight... and that I needed TWO of them!

:d
That too!

Reactions: Jax
I quickly became amazed at how much stuff is underwater. I expected fish, water plants, rocks, etc. I randomly ran into a bald eagle statue underwater the other day and was scratching my head a moment over that one.

Who knew there was such a thing as a $1,200 flashlight... and that I needed TWO of them!

:d
Who knew that we would spend that kind of money for the stuff.

Back
Top Bottom