what are the pros and cons of the rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_dragon

Reaction score
i am new to diving and saw a documentry on rebreathers... i had a sudden urge to get one.... but they seem quiet expensive.... and require additional training that doesn't come cheap... is it really worth it....

Hiya! Pull up a chair and here have some :lurk: We'll see if anyone bites.

:0) You can always do a search, if you're interested

Okay, I'll be your huckleberry! (Doc Holliday--Tombstone)

Rebreathers:

Pro's--Long, long dive times--warm, moist gas to breathe--lighter weight for the amount of gas supply than OC--better deco

Con's--bloody expensive--more training required--more subtle ways to get sideways with you (thus the reason for more training)--requires a more mature diver's mind-set

i guess i will have to keep diving and get more experience before jumping into this... thanks for the info....

sea_dragon:
i guess i will have to keep diving and get more experience before jumping into this... thanks for the info....

You could also look at it another way. Since OC diving is quite different from rebreather diving, most of your OC experience will not be much help when it comes to rebreathers - some experienced RB divers will advocate that you start early and build up your experience on the RB of your choice and dive the RB exclusively.

My duals weighed around 140lbs. My RB weighs less then 50. My back is the reason I went RB on anything deep... Surgery made my mind up for me.

Still carry bailout gas. But, I don't have the 140lbs on my back anymore...

Pros
Long dives. Warm air.

Cons
Have more to babysit.

I don't think of training as a con. And my RB was around $8000. My 60 tanks at $150 ea plus is $9000. So, sellin most of my tanks would cover it. No to mention tank fills. Less Vis and Hydro's.

If you're into deep diving. RB's are way cheaper in the long run..... Helium gets pricey on Dual 108's. Single 20. it's cheap.

"Sideways"!

It's a very expensive complicated system that requires extensive training, even for instructors; but they are becoming more mainstream. If you get a chance to "test one" with a rebreather instructor, go for it. Takes the mystery away...

Back
Top Bottom