What are Florida's Top 10 Dive Sites???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in Melbourne, FL, but most rec divers go south to Jupiter and West Palm. Reason: the gulf stream comes close to shore then swings out east where I live. Plenty of wrecks, most diving is dift diving, so if you go down to see a wreck, it's usually a negative entry, or follow an anchor line. The Keys is suppose to be the best, but I haven't made it that far south yet. You can dive all year around with a 3mm wetsuit.

For someone could only dive in one OW only spring dive, I would have to say Blue Spring in Orange City. It is a really unique site, and when the sun is directly overhead, the beams of light dancing at 60' is a mesmerizing sight.

For caverns, I would call it a tight tie between Paradise Springs and Madison Blue cavern. I have heard more than one experienced cave diver, though, claim that Blue Hole, also called Jughole Spring, in the Itchetucknee State Park, is the most beautiful. One day I intend to get in there to check it out.

My personal favorites are:

1. Wreck of the Eagle - Islamorada
You have more knowledge than most on this one... If I am with you, it is always a great dive!
2. The Crack - Sanibel
3. Wreck of the Hydro Atlantic - Boca Raton
I need to dive these
4. Wreck of the Sheridan - Clearwater
One of my favorites!... Dove with AUMike in January 2007 - Great dive!
5. Fin Barge - Bradenton
Easy shore dive, but never in my top ten!
6. Tenneco Towers - Ft. Lauderdale
7. Venice Beach - Venice
8. ARC Radio Tower - Sanibel
agree!
9. Wreck of the Duane at night - Key Largo
10. Marvel's Side Yard - Lauderdale By The Sea
Both of these are fantastic night dives! I add them to the list of musts! (Especially since Marvel's Side Yard has become an "official/unofficial" Bonaire Dive Site!

Un mas... (to make up for the fin barge...) The Spiegel Grove... Key Largo

Wrecks
Wilkes Barre in Lower Keys:big animal,spearfishing,cool factor

Queen of Nassau in Upper keys:big animal,spearfishing

Looe Key in Middle Keys:just cool man

Unnamed barge off Ft.Pierce:spawning aggregation of jewfish

DryDock off Jax:spearfishing,biggest art reef on EC of Fla still @ 600'x300'x50' high]

Marquesas Hump:cool factor,spearfishing,lobstering

Secret Spot: off St.Augustine always has big snapper and some grouper

Hospital Grounds ledge off Jax:saw a GW there a few years ago,I ascended

St.Mary's River:6" vis,2knot current,gators,catfish and Fossils
Crystal River:manatees,snook,tarpon during the winter months

Walter:
5. Fin Barge - Bradenton
Easy shore dive, but never in my top ten!

Jim, you're thinking of the Sugar Barge, AKA Regina. I'm thinking of the site we visited well off shore from the Irish Wake, the huge barge with the large fins and all those Jewfish.

Jim, you're thinking of the Sugar Barge, AKA Regina. I'm thinking of the site we visited well off shore from the Irish Wake, the huge barge with the large fins and all those Jewfish.
You are correct! Fin is in my top 10! Last time I was there, it was hammerhead city :D, the day after Bull Shark hell with Tracy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom