What are current cameras for novices like me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I had a sea life camera with stobes that I was happy with (whatever the 2009 model was). It is totally dead so I was thinking of getting a new camera.

I'm not a pro and don't intend to become one, I'm a hey that looks cool take a pic type. One of my friends has a kraken housing and I'm fine with the picture quality she gets, I just will not take my phone underwater no matter what it's in.

So what are the current options for us that just like to take a quick shot.

I’ve got a TG5 and love it. I use the housing even on shallow dives. An excellent point-and-shoot camera. The TG6 is probably even better.
You can see what I’ve photographed at Instagram.

#yawanadive

cheers

Andrew

fomernuke, are you a new diver?

Probably had a SeaLife 1200 or 1400. Why not stay with a newer model SeaLife? Still pretty simple to work. Check out some of the pics on the FaceBook SeaLife page.

Sealife has a new one, the Dc2000 which is what I'd get if I were getting anything other than a DSLR (think Nikon, Canon and thousands of doll-hairs). The sensor is almost 5x the size of the Olympus TG6, and dc2000 also has a better lens. On the other hand, TG6 is correspondingly cheaper than sealife's dc2000.

I've currently got a dc1400. I had planned on upgrading to dc2000 this year, but since covid I decided I'd wait until I was traveling to dive again.

Dc1400's are all over the placed used for super cheap. That's how I got mine.

Sealife has a new one, the Dc2000 which is what I'd get if I were getting anything other than a DSLR (think Nikon, Canon and thousands of doll-hairs). The sensor is almost 5x the size of the Olympus TG6, and dc2000 also has a better lens. On the other hand, TG6 is correspondingly cheaper than sealife's dc2000.

I've currently got a dc1400. I had planned on upgrading to dc2000 this year, but since covid I decided I'd wait until I was traveling to dive again.

Same here, bought a 1400 back when they first came out, in a package from SeaLife, along with a strobe.

Most dives, I ditch the strobe, and use the internal flash from the camera.

There's a 2000 out there with my name on it, as soon as I add an octopus because I currently dive an Air2.

my concern with the Olympus is I understand they are now closed.

A got a recommendation to get a kraken and an old burner phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom