What a Difference the right undergarment makes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I bought a used dry suit (High Tide uncompressed neoprene) last summer and have been diving it since. When I bought the suit, I decided I would just use fleece undergarments that I already owned -- basically heavy fleece pants and a lighter weight fleece sweater along with poly-pro underwear. I have maybe 50 dives on it and while I have generally been warm, the dives have always been "interesting" on the ascent. I have continuously felt the suit wasn't venting well and it wasn't.

Finally I decided this was stupid and went looking for an undergarment that would work under this suit. I ended up with a Mobby's lightweight fleece from the LDS and got a very good price (it had been there for a while because, in the PNW, who wants a Lightweight undergarment).

MAN what a difference the right equipment makes!

Pretty clearly the valve wasn't the culprit on the venting issue -- my lightweight top was! (I think it was a combination of air trapping and getting sucked into the value.) But, all of a sudden I realized I could trust the suit -- that meant more air into it -- that meant more warmth and better bouyancy control -- not to mention less total weight!

Note to self -- DO NOT GET CHEAP on the basic tools of Scuba!

Peter Guy:
Note to self -- DO NOT GET CHEAP on the basic tools of Scuba!

There are a lot of ways to cobble together an acceptable under garment without paying Dive manufacturer prices. That said, however - there are a lot of BAD ways to do it as well... and you find yourself shivering and having no fun.

As cheap as I am, this is one area where I have not cut corners. Diving with the 130, with HBSipperGurl on a 130 now - we're doing longer dives (90's, 80's, 70's) and I have never been more happy that I have UG's that work.

---
Ken

On the money. eyebrow

I have the fleece undies that came with my Whites DS, and layer beneath that. I need to layer because the water temps where I dive very by FIFTY DEGREES from winter to summer. But I didn't go cheep on the layers. Two of the layers cost me 100.00 each, then a good ploypro, for a total of four layers. Plus I bought some Weezle socks (about $60, I think), which changed everything for me.

Finally, this year, I have been warm down to 34 degrees. Yes, it makes all the difference!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom