Whar's everyone using for sanitation of R/B

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TCDiver1

Ductus Exemplo
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What's everyone using for sanitation of R/B? Just curious, i'm using a MSA cleaner/sanitizer which costs about 2 buck for two ounces. Lets see .... that's about 16 bucks a pound .... you would think this stuff is caviar or something! The active ingredients are: Ammonium Chloride & Dimethyl Benzyl. The stuff is made for personal safety equip. like OBA's & respirators & works great except for the cost

Anyone have any cheaper solutions they are using?

Betadine

Any comments to the long term effects of betadine or mouthwash on breathing bags or rubber/latex part & hoses. I've been using mouthwash for years on an old two hose reg. i dive with from time to time. Was told by the LDS where i bought the R/B that mouthwash would void the warranty. That sentiment was pretty much echoed in the Drager manual. Not that it really matters now that the warranty period is done.

Void the warranty? how they going to know :D

But Mouthwash will NOT kill everything that needs killing in your hoses. After all its pretty mild stuff, it needs to be edible.

Betadine will kill all but will discolour the bags.

Dont you have Lysine or something similar in the US. That will work well. Any Qauternary (sp) disinfectant that doesn't use bleach should do

Originally posted by madmole
Void the warranty? how they going to know :D

But Mouthwash will NOT kill everything that needs killing in your hoses. After all its pretty mild stuff, it needs to be edible.

Betadine will kill all but will discolour the bags.

Dont you have Lysine or something similar in the US. That will work well. Any Qauternary (sp) disinfectant that doesn't use bleach should do

With what i paid for this thing i really did not want to take any chances doing the wrong thing to it. Warranty or no warranty. I'm not one to blindly follow warranties that appear to be trying to sell something else to you that is not needed. With that said the main concern is disinfection to ward off the possiblity of causing respiratory infections. Causing premature failure of some part of the unit is a close second.

I appreciate your thoughts on the topic!:)

The betadine is used on Drager Dolphin, which has black bags and black and red plastic bits, so discoloration isn't an issue. And it hasn't discolored the clear silicone directional valves in mouth piece.

Ambient Preessure Diving (AP Valves) of the Inspiration ilk, sell "Buddy Clean" which is purpose made for cleaning the inspiration. 3 or 4 squirts down each hose and dilute, then rinse

Its £10 ($15) a spray gun but it lasts a long time and you dilute it a lot

Its a quaternary, like lysine

Back
Top Bottom