Whales in Hawaii ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stu_in_fl

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
newly land-locked in Cinci-freaking-natti
# of dives
I'm toying with the idea of a trip to Hawaii sometime mid-Nov or early Dec. and had a question regarding Whales (as I've never seen one !)

- i'm guessing they start arriving sometime in Nov (or is it really more like Dec) and see that there are lots of Whale Watching tours, with Maui seeing the most Whales and Big Island slightly fewer, so apart from spotting them from boats topside (although boats need to give them a wide berth) and hearing them if you dive, do you actually see them when you dive, or is that a relatviely rare experience?

...and just to throw another question in there - what about Kauai ? lots of Whales or not as many as Maui, or Big Island ?

If the whale "experience" is alot better in Maui than the Big Island then I may head there, otherwise I may return to the Big Island (I was there 2 yrs ago) as it also has the coffee and the volcano....not been to Maui before though....decisions, decisions....

thanks
S

The Whales can start arriving as early as November, but the closer you get to January and February, the more whales are around. The Whales use the channel between Maui, Lanai, and Molokini as their birthing and breeding grounds, which concentrates them into a fairly small area. Not only will you see them constantly topside, but while diving you can both hear and FEEL their songs. Actually seeing them underwater is very rare, but it does happen enough to keep me looking out into the blue when I'm diving!

Personally, I think it's easier to find and see whales on Maui than the Big Island, though I've only been to the Big Island once so speak from very limited experience. We've watched whales daily from an ocean front condo on Maui, seen them driving along the coastal highway (multiple times), seen more than I can count from dive boats, seen them walking along the boardwalk on Kaanapali Beach, and heard them singing on more dives than I can count. When staying on the Big Island, we never saw a whale from our condo or anywhere on shore, though we did see them from a boat.

Aloha!

Your message get's me excited about the return of our whales which is right around the corner! In the 10 plus years I have been here I have a fair amount of knowledge and experience with the humpbacks whales and I am happy to offer my opinion at least. Maui gets the second highest concentration of whales during the course of the winter season - second only to are far less accessible area of of Molokai. The viewing from the channel between Maui and Lanai is considered often to be second to none. The backdrop of another island makes blows and surface behaviors easy to spot especially in the high concentration there. While mating and or caving has still never been witnessed it is "believed" to be what is going on.

Anyway, October 11th is the earliest I have personally ever witnessed a Humpback in Hawaiian waters that is very early to say the least. December is the earliest I would consider for a trip focused on seeing whales. The waters off Kauai are not as user friendly for viewing especially until later in Jan/Feb and through March.

Consider taking a peak at the Pacific Whale foundations web site. I think they still list whale counts from previous years at the various times they are taken.

Well, good luck to you. Hope you have a wonderful time Whale Watching no matter which island you pick!

Aloha

We were in Maui for 2 weeks in Feb. We saw many whales topside, heard many underwater, but were never fortunate enough to see any underwater. We were told it is rare to see one while diving.

As a side note on actually seeing the whales underwater...

2 1/2 years of diving 5-6 days per week and I never was lucky enough to have an encounter underwater in Maui. Since my return to Kauai I have have 16 times in the past 7 years that I have been visited by one or more Humpbacks while on tours. Niihau in particular is as likely a spot as anyone may ever find if they wanted to tip the odds in his/her favor. I knew many instructors on Maui who had dove for years without encounters while most boat DM's here get at least 1 per season it seems. Interesting when Maui gets so many more whales and places so many more divers in the water. I've always wondered what is going on in terms of their behavior here in Kauai waters vs. Maui that they seem more likely to approach/allow close encounters with divers. I have heard that the back wall of Molokini has encounters each year.

p.s. To all of you Maui DM's - you guys rock and I hope to get over there this winter to re-visit. Anyone visiting Maui you are lucky to be joining such a high class of dive professionals.

Be well above and especially below water! Again, good luck with your Whale adventures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom