Whale Sharks of Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBlueResort

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi All

I would just like to let everyone know that due to the hard work of all the tourists that come to Utila, the dive shops, and the research organizations on Utila, 2008 was a very special year for us as we became the only place in the world with records showing that we saw whale sharks in every month of the year.

So far in 2009 it is going the same way

This is really to give everyone involved a slap on the back and say well done, this has been an island effort.

:clapping: That is excellent. Some day I will get down there (or somewhere) to see them. They are very high on my must see list.

Yapp that is excellent news :)

I read a few years ago that the Whale Sharks where getting fewer and fewer around Utila. I think it even sad that there had been almost no sightings at all (~2004). Was this wrong or are the returning or?...

Thanks,
// Magnus;

Hi

We have never had a decline in whale sharks, in fact 2004 was not a bad year for them, one of the main things is weather if we get bad weather in, its like you bad weather no diving, here bad weather we cannot get to see them, but yes they are here and doing well.

Thanks - that's great news!

I saw them in Utilia this January - it definitely was an experience NOT TO MISS !!!!

Hi Kathydeee

Yes I must agree, it is an amazing experience, the end of December and the beginning of January were very good this year.

We have also tracked in combination with Belize and Mexico the same shark traveling through three countries in one year by using the ECOCEAN Inc. photo ID system, I believe that this is one of the most exciting things to come to whale shark research in recent years, it allows anyone who takes a photo of a whale shark, to put it in their photo library and this will make an important contribution to whale shark research, so if any of you Scubaboarders out there have any photos of whale sharks enter them in the library, you can really help with research.

Hi Deep Blue - We are getting geared up here in Placencia as our season starts tomorrow with our first of four full moon periods this spring.* I know you guys know that our whale shark action actually goes on for longer than that, but our whale shark diving and snorkeling tours do not run past those dates.* The same animals are coming and going right into Oct up here at Gladden Spit. Our organized tour season is based on the appearance of the spawning snappers. Let's hope we all have a great year for sightings all around. Our recording program for ECOCEAN is in full gear also up here in Placencia. Let's all make our contribution to protect this incredible species. All the best to you guys, I've heard a lot of good things about you.*

Hi Avadon Divers

Thank you and I wish you the best as well, let hoe that it is a great year, remember get all the info you can GPS included if you can that is becoming more and more important in the Ecocean library.

I will have to come and come with you guys one year, if you see Lisa say hi for me, had a great time in Placencia a few years ago, I need to come back to see how it has changed.

Hi All

As a follow up to this story I thought you may be interested, I was told this morning about this incredible story, the smallest whale shark that has ever been seen

Here is the story on the WWF website WWF-Philippines :: News and Facts

and here it is already in the Ecocean.org photo ID library with more photos ECOCEAN - Encounter#83200919826

I know this is not a report from the Bay Islands but just to show you how the Ecocean library works and just a very very cute thing to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom