Whale Sharks Info. needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll be happy to see half as many whale sharks this coming July!
When we went out of Holbox, it was a long boat ride to the swarm, but when we got there - I was amazed at how many were around. We started following one and taking turns dropping snorkelers in pairs. Well, my bud wasn't paying attention so when the skipper said "Go!," it was just me and the First Mate. My bud got better organized by the time our turn came up again. That First Mate was an athlete, swimming with every pair, never getting out swam.

I'd read warnings about being required to wear a life vest if you didn't wear a neoprene suit. I knew the vest would be a drag, but didn't want to wear a wet suit in August, so we wore snorkel vests (see profile photo), and that was fine. I think I added a little air to mine when I got tired one day.

I think we tipped better than most the first day as the second day, he also found a manta for us. Huge sucker! Such an added bonus. When everyone was too tired to go again both days, he took us on a sight seeing tour inside an inlet - then headed back. Funny how the ride back seemed much shorter than the ride out? I guess we had been working our way back all along with the herd? The boats were very nice and roomy. I thought $70 was a little pricey but with the nice boats, two man crew, and short season - maybe not so much. That was 2007 or 2008. Now they're $125 and going up? I'd still go for it.

Holbox was challenging to get to back then, and the boat ride out was over an hour, but it was a treat still. Such a quaint island with dozens of great places to eat. I guess IM is easier and better. Never been. I should sometime.

Pictures: Biggest Whale Shark "Swarm" Found
My very clever daughter tracked down the source of those aerial photos; FYI the pictures of the swarm posted are from 2009, which was a particularly large grouping of whale sharks (largest observed at the time).

We'll be happy to see half as many whale sharks this coming July!

She’s very clever source tracker indeed. Thanks for the link. I got those from @Ken Kurtis before I went to Isla Mujeres.

From what I learned from Misael of Mexico Divers then those gatherings were somewhere around an hour boat ride eastwards off Isla Mujeres where the reef wall drops from 100’ bottom to the abyss. Those snappers / mackerels like to spawn around the edge of the reef wall where the upwelling current from the abyss would carry the fertilized eggs to the blue water to escape predation.

I live in Playa del Carmen and I do the Cancun whale shark tour every year with Ocean Tours Mexico. These chaps have been doing it longer than other operators and put a big focus on reducing the impact that tourism has on the whale sharks they even have noise reduction devices fitted on their engines. Back in 2008 there were just a few sharks and hundreds of whale sharks, nowaday there are still tonnes of whale sharks but also tonnes of boats too. The good new is that you will also see manta rays, and you have a reasonable chance of seeing dolphins (I have seen them 3 times). The whale sharks follow their food source so some weeks they are off the shore of Isla Mujeres and some they are closer to holbox which has colder water and less viz. I hope you have a great time.

PS you won't want to wear a life jacket so bring a 2m wetsuit and you can wear that instead which will reduce your drag in the water. I would bring a black rimmed mask as a clear mask will pick up a lot of glare.

Back
Top Bottom