Whale Sharks in March?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frontiernurse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm going to Belize in March 2011 around the full moon. I've done research and looked through the threads and am getting different info about when the season really starts. Does anyone know if it is feasible to see Whale Sharks in March? I'm staying near Hopkins so the dive op will go to the site, but not sure it would be worth the $?

You can have a high level of expection that whale sharks will be at Gladden Spit sometime between March 16th and 26th. However, whether they will be there during the early part, the middle part, or the later part of that time period is less
certain.

Which explains why Splash Dive Center in Placencia is offering the first of its four "whale shark packages" from March 16th through March 26th. :D

Thatch Caye has changed a bit recently. I know they used to have a very competent dive master there named Chico.
They're close to a lot of good diving. I know they had some hurricane damage but I saw one of the guys that manages it now and he said they're back up and running.

Thanks Hank. Thatch Caye was my #1 choice, but it may not work out for my dates, booking wise. Boooooo!

Just to follow up on this... I went to Hopkins in March (19-26), no whale sharks. Some folks I met were there doing an article on S. Belize and tried for 5 days and didn't see one. Alas. However, I did see everything else under the sea and it was beautiful and amazing!!! Whales Shmales.

Glad to hear you liked it. I kind of feel the same about whale sharks. To tell the truth, I don't like the behemoths coming and eating all our snapper's eggs. :D

Just think how many more cuberas we'd have if they would just pass on by and head for Cozumel.

oops double post

Back
Top Bottom